1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Teej's 57-esque P Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, Jul 14, 2010.

1. teej

teej

[​IMG]

I've actually been working on this for a couple of months now. I built this as a replacement for my recently sold green jazz bass, dubbed the "Fusion." Well, I guess you could call this the "Fusion II" or perhaps just the "Classic." I know it's not a jazz bass, but after owning one, I came to discover that I prefer the P shape, so that's what I went with.

- Chambered alder body with poplar top
    - Maple neck with maple fingerboard, aluminum nut, and dot inlays only on the 12th fret
    - Hipshot Ultralight tuners
    - USA Fender bridge (string-thru)
    - Pickup from Fender '51 Reissue
    - White pickguard (may go pearl)

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Have you been to a doctor?

3. Beej

Beej

You need to elevate that...

4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Love the look of it, though I hate the pun hell that ensued. :p

Also, interesting headstock shape, looks a bit Valenti-ish. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. teej

teej

You're not the only one.

The headstock was actually a direct tracing of a J. Reynolds P (my first bass), and then I refined it to be sleeker, but I wanted to do something more to it, so I tried to do what I did with my Serenade (cut a notch out of the headstock - see photo below) and ended up with something resembling Valenti's shape.

[​IMG]

7. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

Let's not make the mods decipher intent or meaning over the internet.

I am available via pm to discuss...

8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Also, I didn't even notice till re-reading: I actually like the minimalist fretboard.

9. teej

teej

Yeah, I've done that with a few other builds, such as the travel bass, Serenade, and now this one. I just think dots all over the fretboard clutter things and detract from natural aesthetics of the wood. What can I say, I like things simple and clean. I may add side dots, though.

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Disclosures:
    Completely agree TJ. I do one simple inlay and rarely do side dots. The G doesn't move. Anyone playing one of my instruments will know where the G is.

11. teej

teej

Just sprayed what will hopefully be the last coat. I tend to have a heavy hand when it comes to polishing, though. Here's hoping I don't rub through the paint.

I was going to do an abalone inlay at the 12th fret of my "J" logo, but I already had the dots on hand, so I went with that instead.

12. Ruckus_Instrmts

Ruckus_Instrmts

Ugh. Glad I'm not the only one. Damn edges always get me. :oops:

13. teej

teej

Yeah, I was polishing the headstock last night and rubbed right through the top bass-side edge. I've learned to never let the cloth go dry, even if you have to slather polishing compound all over the thing.

14. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Disclosures:
    I do one piece of shell inlayed:
    [​IMG]

...and that makes three of us with the buffing issues. :(

15. teej

teej

The paints hard enough to handle (lightly), so I couldn't resist a mock-up.

[​IMG]

I was going to do a white pearl pickguard, but I think the plain white compliments the simple/clean look of the fingerboard. And yes, I'm aware that I only have one tuner. I can't find the other three. Or maybe I'm just being innovative. It'll catch on one day.

16. Yakob

Yakob

Looks nice, good build.

17. BassCycle

BassCycle

Disclosures:
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
  18. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

I purposely give the edges plenty of paint and clear for this reason. My hands do not help the issue...

although the headstock is valenti ish, I love the look of the bass. After playing a squire CV 51, I love the sound of that tele pickup...

19. teej

teej

After letting it sit for a couple of weeks in this Alabama heat (thermometer read 108 when I got in the car today), I hit it with what I hope will be the last coat of color. I may not do a clear coat. When polished, the color by itself comes out deep and vivid with a high gloss.

20. teej

teej

It's been a while, but I've been a very busy guy! I graduated college (BFA Digital Media), got married to the lovely lady in my avatar - her name is Katie and I love her to death - and am working full-time (Graphic Designer at SAS Printing) with bills and everything. :smug:

As for this project, it's finished. Sadly, I don't have any other progress shots. I'd work on little things here and there with other things on my mind than "oh, I need to photograph this!" I completed it back in December and have been working on setting it up since then. Frets need to be leveled and I've got to clear coat over my headstock logo (well, I don't HAVE to, but for durability's sake...). Aside from that, it's strung and playable. Balances well and is very light! Tone is pretty good, too, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the single coil hum. Down the road, I may look into the split single-coil pickup Fralin makes.

I'll take some shots tonight and post them here.

21. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Teej! Love your stuff. Thought you were gone forever. Glad you're not. :)