1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Teisco bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulRR, May 6, 2011.

1. PaulRR

PaulRR

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone would care to chime in on some thoughts regarding this bass? Its listed for $200 on CL and this is the add and pics.

1965 Teisco Bass for sale.
    The body shape is amazing. The closest thing you will see vintage to a non-reverse firebird bass shape.
    The neck is straight with plenty of room on the truss rod. Intonated.
    The pickups have a vintage tone very different from your typical Fender'/Gibson/Ricky tone...a really deep/single-coil sound tone great
    The headstock is rad.

Why this bass is $200 (obo:)??
    Frets have been filed down to make her fretless (fretless players!!--time to own the coolest fretless on the market!--show up to a session with this kind of soul)
    The two rocker switches are iffy when you start working them...they could prob use a re solder.
    Missing one knob.

Attached Files:

2. JTFormula

JTFormula

Good for hanging on the wall but not built exceptionally well, as you can tell by the rockers. Basically its a cool old cheap Japanese bass that collectors have been picking up for the last couple years from $50-150 just because they look funky and are different. I have an old Teisco Tulip 6 string guitar I got for free and it looks cool, its old (with possibly original flatwounds that are worn to death) but it plays like crap and the build quality is the same. It just hangs on the wall as Artwork.

Interesting history: Blues player Hound Dog Taylor used Teisco guitars and now a lot of Jazz and Blues players are starting to pick them up because they have a twang to them. They make for great slide guitars. I am not sure if the basses are getting the same recognition. Play it and see how it feels and plays. I have always wondered if they were total junk or just have a bad wrap. If its anything like my Teisco guitar, you're better off with a Squire.
  3. laklandplayer

laklandplayer

These were sold under the Decca, Kingston and Western Auto brand names as well, I had the matching guitar and amp when I was 10 years old. I have a '68 Teisco beatle bass and it is really good for the era. They were made by Kawai piano company.
  4. PaulRR

PaulRR

Thanks JT. I dont know much about these except that i had a teisco guitar when I was about 10. I was hoping to replace it. The guy just e mailed me and said he has a bidding war going and the price is now up to $700.

I wished him well...:meh:
  5. JTFormula

JTFormula

There's a sucker born every minute.
  6. PaulRR

PaulRR

Lakland. Thanks for the info. I was thinking about offering him , based upon the guitars condition, $50.00. However I am sure that the bid is now well over a million dollars I think I will pass.
  7. sanchorb

sanchorb

Teisco basses are kind of ******, I know because my first bass was a KB2 from 1967, unplayable as a log. This one is a NB4 from 1965 or 1966, check out these very old posts:
    (sans the pictures)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/what-nb-4-a-381643/

If one finds one of these in a good condition, it might be playable but don´t expect anything great from it. But in terms of price, it is very expensive, IMHO. For that price get a new one, will surely play better than this one. Hope it helps, check it out this site, caled Teisco Twangers, for some info on their instruments, and be sure to go to the "ID parade", and see if you can recognize this one.

Teisco Twanger's Paradise - home of vintage Teisco guitars
  8. sanchorb

sanchorb

Forgot to mention, I was amused by the description..."amazing body shape, kind of reverse of a Thunderbird" or such...I had to laugh hard on this one. Teisco were not the best of basses, but had a lot of quirky shapes, and in particular that description really means "it is butt ugly", LOL. I was happy the day I could sell mine to get a real bass, even a beginner´s one, and I am talking about 1992...
  9. PaulRR

PaulRR

THanks again to you guys
  10. madmachinist

madmachinist

Teisco was responsible for countless guitarists to give-up
    hope and put their "instruments" down for good .

makes "interesting" conversation and novelty , just don't try
    to play it for anything but a goof or novelty.

of course , Alice Void played one!
  11. mongo2

mongo2

I picked one of those out of the trash several years ago...mine's a bluish grey.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Don't know how many of you remember this, but Guitar Player featured an ongoing column entitled "Cheap Thrills and Pawn Shop Prizes" hosted by "Teisco del Rey". IIRC, Teisco was particularly fond of what he called "plastic Italian blender guitars" sporting at least half a dozen rocker switches.

Riis
  13. Gotta P

Gotta P

Wow, my folks got me one of these for Christmas back in 66 or 67 (first bass). i recall (barely) that it played and sounded pretty good. it was big,solid, and heavy.
  14. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

My 1st bass was a Teisco (different model than in the photo) in about 1970. I can't say with 100% certainty that it was a piece of crap, or I was a crappy player at the time, but at least one of us definitely was. My next bass was a Ric & I never looked back. I sold the Teisco for about $50 & was happy to be rid of it.
  15. madmachinist

madmachinist

Don't know how many of you remember this, but Guitar Player featured an ongoing column entitled "Cheap Thrills and Pawn Shop Prizes" hosted by "Teisco del Rey". IIRC, Teisco was particularly fond of what he called "plastic Italian blender guitars" sporting at least half a dozen rocker switches.

i remember well! he coined such memorable adjectives
    as:

"mother of toilet seat"
    "mother of bowling trophy"
    "veg-o-matic "

not to mention being the undisputed master player
    of the guitorgan.
  16. jimbilly

jimbilly

There's no way it's worth $700 (imo). People who put stuff up on Craigslist then try to get the interested buyers to bid the price up like it's an auction p*ss me off, they deserve this: bid up as high as it takes to 'win', then back out (for any of a number of reasons).
  17. bobba66

bobba66

My first bass was a Teisco del Ray. I wouldn't pay five bucks for another one.
  18. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Teisco Del Rey's monthly article in the old Guitar Player magazines was called "Off The Wall". I have many of his articles from the 80's.

TD