1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tele Control Plate?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xhawk5, Apr 3, 2014.

1. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Hello all. I recently found a nice P-Body routed for P/J pups and has rear access. Unfortunately, there are holes drilled into the top.
    I want to cut-out and then cover the cavity from up top.

I'd like to use a Tele-style plate with a 3-way pup selector.
    1)Will this "Tele Guitar", 250k, Tele control set-up work for bass?
    2)Is there anything I need to change if I bought something like this?
    3)Will the volume mod mess things up?
    4)Should I do my own wiring, ect... 250k or 500k pots?

I'll probably be using passive Bartolini or Fender to mellow-out the Ash body w/maple top. Funds are limited and I want to buy a nice neck also.

Thanks.

Here's how I received it years ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stripped, pre-sanding:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pickguard won't work, P-rout is closer to the neck:
    [​IMG]

2. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    I'm also considering a Blend pot instead of the 3-way switch. Here are 2 examples. I think the curved one might be best due to the existing holes compared to where they're drilled into the control cavity:

Attached Files:

3. You should be able to find a pre-wired Tele control plate with 500k pots if you'd prefer, I got one from eBay UK for a dual humbucker, Tele-ish guitar I built a few months back and for my P/MM short scale Tele Bass.

Or you could eschew the control plate plan altogether and use the existing holes as LP style 3-way, Volume, Tone, Output...

4. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    I'd like to not have a control plate... Unfortunately, the holes that were drilled are off-center, not spaced evenly and CTS pots don't fit in the cavity properly. I figured if I rout a cavity from up top, no problem.