1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

telecaster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Apr 13, 2014.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I've played Ps and Js for a long time, and love their different tones, but never tried a telecaster bass. I am thinking of trying a new build, and was thinking of working in that vein. How are they soundwise in comparison, and in neck shape?
    Thnx

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    Neck shape is either vintage or modern P-bass depending on what you get. Tone is punchier than either P or J basses due to the single pole magnets and a little more middy than a split coil P bass. Sits really well in the mix IMO.

3. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

I've owned many a Tele bass and the above sounds spot on.

4. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

I associate that old baseball bat neck with Teles. I was used to the shallower modern P neck profile but found I like the chunky neck just fine. Nice change of pace, and what's the point of having different basses if they all have the same properties?

The sc pup can deliver a deep yet snarly tone you can't get elsewhere. My 69 has the SD stacker wired with a coil split, excellent pup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

which Tele bass?

the single coil Pre-'57 style?
    or the Mudbucker neck pup from the 70's?

I agree with the others about the neck: chunky, baseball bat style. I love it.
    the single coil tone is pretty punchy and sits in a mix really well, just like its post-'57 sibling, but in a different way.

I also dug the mudbucker version, but don't think it works as well in the mix. Wooly, woofy, and thick, though.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I like single coils, but I am open - haven't done this in 30 years.

8. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Highly recommend Seymour Duncan single stack humbucker.

9. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397443146.118307.jpg

69 single coil. Just took it apart and sent the body out to get the bridge rout filled and a refin. Gonna tint the neck myself.

Series 1 Tele is 68-71, mudbucker started in 72. Check out the Telecaster Bass club thread, lotsa slabby goodness to see.

10. shadven

shadven

I have both a 1969 Tele and a 1972 tele. The 1969 has a wonderful mid tone that cuts through with a band and a great chunky neck. The 1972 with the mud bucket is harder to dial in. I can roll off the low rumble with a compressor or Aguilar tone hammer... the neck on the 72 is fantastic, in a BB in bad baseball back kinda way.

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

This is sweet! When did these start coming out?? I'm excited about this. I've always wanted a tele bass but could never afford. Maybe I can now.

12. veebass

veebass Supporting Member

I have a 69 and a 72. The comments above are spot on in terms of the tone of these basses..
    My 72 must be a bit unusual in that it has a B width neck on it (original neck)- not like the 69 at all which is a baseball bat C width.
    I also have Squier VM (Tele) Precision Bass- the humbucker in that is a bit tamer than the one in my 72.
    Hope that helps.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320

The latter asks for sumthin' now out for a two years at least...

not citin' here the original Vintage Modified Tele Precision (34")

I owned Green Day's Mike Dirnt Precision, which is a '51 Tele but with BadAssII bridge and '59 splitcoil (different sound) Squier Classic Vibe '50s Precision (with Seymour Duncan quarter pound single coil and additional Hipshot Bt1 bass extender) and a Squier Vintage Modified '70s Tele Precision (with additional DiMarzio modelP splitcoil and Hipshot Bt7 bass extender)

The three shared a thick baseball bat one piece maple neck, poly glossed on Squier Classic Vibe only, which was the only one to violently hum
    Mike Dirnt's and Vintage Modified had humcancellin' pickups and satin finished necks

I still fondly miss'em all

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

Want a mike dirnt bass so bad, not a fan of roadworn finishes though :(

15. Wallace320

Wallace320

Standard Dirnt versions are out at MIM standard pricings, and if you don't succeed in findin' any, on the used market they're out for way less... I tend to believe at less than £. 500.00 you could find a super mint vintage white one:)

Cheers,
    Wallace