Telecaster - Fake or Real?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mansjasont, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mansjasont

mansjasont

Okay so I have a question that I might have to go to the telecaster forum for an answer but I thought I would start here.

I walked into the local "mom & pop" music store yesterday to buy some strings. Right behind the counter they has hanging a beautiful Telecaster. I asked if they had a price on it yet and she said they just got it in on consignment, and nobody had a chance to look it over yet. So I asked to see it, when I picked it up it felt great played a little (no amp) and it played great too.

So now I get to my question: This was a Tele I had never seen before, it looked a lot like the Aerodyne Tele model. All black including headstock, except, where the Aerodyne says "Aerodyne Tele", this one just had a Star with a circle around it. I tried doing a search for this guitar but cant find it.... which makes me wonder if it is just a fake... but who would take the time to put the Fender name on the headstock, and do it wrong?

Also, it has seymour duncan pickups, which I would assume would not have been stock. And the bridge on it also didn't look right to me.

Let me know what you guys think. Also sorry for the descriptions but I dont have the best memory so I hope this is good detail, I only picked it up for a few min.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Did it say Fender on the HS?

Regards
    Sam
  3. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

4. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

Did it look like this??

[​IMG]
  5. mansjasont

mansjasont

It said Fender on the HS, no it wasn't a starcaster. It looked almost exactly like the Aerodyne like I said above but it had a star on the HS and it had a pick guard.

Here is what the Aerodyne looks like. [​IMG]
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

7. mansjasont

mansjasont

This is kinda what it looks like (this is really rough).
  8. Handyman

Handyman

Very stupid question, but are you sure the star wasn't a sticker possibly stuck on by the previous owner?
  9. mansjasont

mansjasont

Not a stupid question, I started wondering that myself afterwards, but I didn't think to look too closely at it when I was holding it.
  10. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You'd be surprised at how many would do exactly this.
  11. Godfather

Godfather

Aren't listing prices established as part of the consignment agreement between the owner of the item and the store ?
  12. Handyman

Handyman

Generally, but the owner sometimes asks for advice from the store about the instrument's market value.