1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Telecaster truss rod setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by miguelbass, Apr 4, 2014.

1. miguelbass

miguelbass Supporting Member

I have a 1977(ish) red telecaster bass from a friend. The bass is a bit worn and the neck has a lot of relief. I turned a bit the truss rod clockwise - right tight)
    However it doesn't seem to do any visible effect. I don't want to overdo it... Meanwhile I remembered to ask here if Anyone had similar troubles with the telecaster neck. am I tweaking the truss rod in the right way or are the telecasters any different?

Thank you all!
    Miguel

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

First, how many turns have you made?

How much relief? It may take a full turn or more to get it in line.

The nut might be compressing the wood. Release tension from the rod by pulling Back on the head then tighten. Get someone to help if you need.

You also said it doesn't seem to be making a difference, are you measuring relief so you know for sure not guessing?

3. miguelbass

miguelbass Supporting Member

Hello. Thank you for replying. I didn't do more than one turn so I followed your advice and loosened the truss rod. Then I started tightening and the truss rod now seems to respond better. I am measuring the relief now and it's a bit lower than I had before. I am not with the bass now but tomorrow I will tighten a bit more. I will report later. Thanks for your help!

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Loosening it first is a good thing but I also mean you should BEND the neck back to move it where you want it, then tighten the nut to hold it.

5. Register to disable this ad