Tell me about the Crown XLS series

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Dec 20, 2013.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Been looking at Crown power amps to power a PA. I currently have 2 monitors (looking to grow to 4 perhaps or add some mains in the future). the monitors I have are 250w @ 8 ohms.

Anyway I have been looking at the XLS 1000 and 1500, but have also seen the XLS 202 and 402. anyone tell me quality, price, experience, would they work with the monitors I have now? Any insight would be great.
  2. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

I had one... They are built well, sound good and are HEAVY.

Look at the Behringer iNuke's. Not even kidding. Class D.
  3. ashbory

ashbory

I have been using the XLS 1500 "DriveCore" for about two years.

Currently using it to power two monitors and two mains for small bar band PA. We are using powered subs with this setup.

The monitors are Yorkville NX35, 8ohm, rated at 500 watts and they get to a good volume at around 70% of available power (more than that and your dealing with feedback anyway). One channel should have enough juice to get the most out of your two 8ohm, 250W monitors. (Amp rating is 525W into 4ohm)

It is clean, quiet, stupid light (9lbs) and inexpensive per watt. The front panel controls and built in crossover/hpf are a nice bonus.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I have an XLS 402. No issues with the amp at all, it's been good. Only little stickler is that mine only has xlr inputs, so I had to make up a couple of 1/4" to xlr cables to connect it.

Mine is just a basic poweramp, no built in dsp or any of that.

One odd thing is that mine is listed as 2ohm stable on both channels. Then the specs changed to only being 4ohm stable after that for the same amp. There was some confusion over whether or not anything in the design actually changed or if they upped the impedance spec just to maybe cut down on warranty returns or something. I don't really know, but I've run mine at 2 ohms a couple times with no trouble, and ran it at 2.67 ohms ( three 8ohm monitors on one channel) quite often, again with no trouble. Though, the amp doesn't have to work anywhere near full output to drive our monitors to the level we need.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Also I bought mine for a good deal used crom another bass player who used it in his rack rig. If you're looking to buy new, there may be better deals out there for bang-for-the-buck, or more features, etc.