Tell me about the GK 700RB.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pica, Feb 22, 2014.

1. pica

pica

Okay, so I'm interested in a GK 700RB for sale here locally. Doesn't seem to be much info here as opposed to other GK amps. I'm assuming it's 700W. How does it differ from the 700RB II. The amp is not connected to a cab so I won't be able to play it before buying. I know GK makes great amps, how does this one rate? Oh and by the way the asking price is $350.

2. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

3. garp

garp

The 700RB kicks some serious butt. The 700RB-II kicks it even better.

While the RBs are well-known as serious workhorses that can provide decades of reliable service, unless you can get an iron-clad return guarantee from the seller, $350 is way too much to risk on a used head that you can’t even test-drive before purchasing. Could be flawless, could be dead as a doornail, or anywhere in between.

4. dune2k

dune2k

Especially since there's a reason for the creation of a MKII aside from more power (MKI 380W/4 Ohm, MKII 480W/4 Ohm; both via the "Woofer"-amp). The first run had problems with overheating. Aside from that the preamp was tweaked to sound better (and actually does so from what I read).

Get a MKII if possible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pica

pica

Thanks for the info and the heads up. Much appreciated. I should be able to find an MKII at my local guitar store but maybe not right away.

7. johnson79

johnson79

Guitar Center always has the mark ii online in the used section. Starting at $300 and up.

8. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I picked up a nice 700RB-II from a TB member at $300.
    Mine is a 2004 model, but still only a few minor points away from current production.
    All boards and parts are still fully supported for repairs.

IMO, unless you get a giveaway firesale on the older 700RB (not II model), I'd pass.
    It was re-engineered as the 700RB-II for very good reasons.

9. pica

pica

So let me ask you guys this. I'm on a limited budget and have to buy both a head and a cab. I also saw the 400RB II at GC. It looks just like the 700RB II. Is that the same amp but with less wattage?

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin BX500 heads are going brand new for 329.00. It's a killer head at that price. Yes the 400RB is very similar in tone and features to the 700RB, but with less power and no bi-amping.

11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I gigged with a GK1001RB (not a II) for years up until a year ago. The 700RB is 380 watts vs the 1001RB's 535 watts. They are identical other than the power.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf

That's the right manual. If you like the way a GK sounds, you'll love the amp. I'd say $350 is high. Heck, it might be high for a 1001RB (not the II). But it's still a great amp, again, if you like GK. I inherited the 1001RB and it got the job done and done well. I prefer Ampeg.

I liked the biamp feature and rewired all my cabinets to use it. I never ran out of volume, or headroom. I found the amp to be rather "polite" and controlled, but I never did pull that GK "growl" out of it. When I set it up to get that "growl" I lost punch that I preferred over the growl. I wasn't satisfied with the low end "character" so I relied on a Sansamp for low end control. The other EQ points were great. The presence was excellent. I even found the contour useful for tuning in a room.

I'm very familiar with the schematic for the 1001RB. The preamps are identical. The power amp may be too, just with different voltages on the rails...lower on the 700. Pushing the amp until one "hits the rails" or drives the amplifier into what other amps would be clipping horribly, derives a tone that many GK users rely on. It is a design feature that has a sonic effect many love. A big part of the "GK" sound. Unfortunately, even loud volume outdoor gigs into a pair of 600 watt 4X10's got me nothing but clean, solid tone. I never quite got to the "hitting the rails" point.

The 700RBII increased the main power amp 100 watts to 480 watts, virtually identical to the original 1001RB. (which was 535 watts.) I do believe the power amps were redesigned for the II series. For instance, the original 1001RB lists the power as 535 watts into 8 or 4 ohms. (Don't know how this is done) The original 700 says 225 watts at 8 and 350 at 4.