Tell me about Tobias Renegade 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DMBankers, Mar 29, 2014.

1. DMBankers

DMBankers Supporting Member

Hey all,

After spending countless hours on the interwebs I've finally learned that the bass I bought second hand over a decade ago is a Renegade. Problem is, there's just not much about it. Anyone here have one, played one?

Also, it seems I may need to replace the pull/push knob, it's pretty noisy when cranked.

Thanks!
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba

Post a pic and we can confirm. They are a Gibson product and long since discontinued. Should be a MM style Bartolini humbucker at the bridge and a Bart J style at the neck.
  3. DMBankers

That it does... Serial number on the headstock is 8150 so, if I remember Michael Tobias' system correctly it was made in 1998, in Nashville?

Attached Files:

4. DMBankers

Oh whoops. Sorry it's sideways.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scubaduba

scubaduba

Michael Tobias had nothing to do with the Renegade. That is a 100% Gibson creation. Serial number dating would be based Gibson's numbering but 8150 would be consistent with the 1998 time frame. You could call Gibson to be certain.
  7. DMBankers

I tried, got blown off. I'm under the impression they got sick of people asking about their early Tobias models, but thanks! :)
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I had a 4 string version nearly 15 years ago. I liked the way it sounded, even though it didn't nail a jazz or stingray. Definitely more "nineties" sounding (useless descriptor, sorry) and worked well in a band context even though I wasn't inspired by its solo tone. I don't remember the controls.

I didn't like the neck. Mine felt unfinished but it must've been oiled(?)...I didn't like the way it felt and it always looked dirty.