Tell me about your stereo bass rig!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suprhevydethmtl, Dec 26, 2013.

1. suprhevydethmtl

suprhevydethmtl

To those of us who use a stereo bass setup, feel free to chime in with what you have, how you have it set up and what it sounds like!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

3. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Can't run a stereo rig with a bass that puts out a stereo signal. Right?

I used to run my Rickenbacker in stereo into two Fender Bassman 10 combos back in my punk band days. I flip them on their side and stack one on top of the other. Each one all tube and an underpowered 50 watts through 4x10s. Bridge the channels for extra volume and crank every knob to 10. No need for dirt pedals!

More recently, I was running a Ric in stereo into a two channel amp. I usually ran the neck pup clean with boosted lows and cut highs and mids. I would then run the bridge pup through a dirt pedal and EQ it for more mids and highs. Blend the two channels together on the amp for different sounds. Lots of fun and endless possibilities.

I've pretty much stopped using the stereo output this past year. I do prefer the sound, but a sound man who insists on DI in front of the amp throws a huge wrench into the plan and I'm tired of fighting for a mic. The other disadvantage is that it's more difficult to make EQ and volume adjustments on the fly. I do miss that sound, though.

4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

DI in front of the amp bypasses your amp's tone anyway whether stereo or not. I'm thinking, use 2 separate heads with quality builtin DIs and fight soundman to give you 2 channels, or get a little mixer and give him the one blended out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I used to be able to run a DI off the "preamp combined out" 1/4" jack from my effects loop but now that makes my amp go haywire and create this loud pulsing noise. No XLR out on any of my amps either. They're all between 35 and 40 years old.

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

For a few years in the late 70's I wired my jazz bass in stereo. Installed a stereo jack and put each pup out it's own channel. At the time this was the only way I could figure out how to use my Little Muff and Small Stone, considering the huge low cut of the Muff.

The neck pup went straight to a Traynor YBA-1 and a single 15" EVM, while the bridge pup went through the effects to a SS Peavey and another 15". Not only did I retain pungent low end with the effects, but it sounded huge with the effects out as well.

Now with my current effects I don't even feel the need for a blender, plenty of low end on tap.

8. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    For live, I'm using the Radial Bones Twin-City A-B-Y amp switcher, Line 1 goes to the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI fort the highs - Line 2 goes to the Tech21 VT deluxe DI for the lows. I've never gotten crap from the sound man about running 2 DIs. My volumes for each are set onstage.