1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tension and sound with single/double pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cousinofmurloc, Mar 24, 2014.

1. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

So I've been watching a lot of live performances, and I noticed most play with a double or single coil pickup. On my bass (the only one I've ever played I've been playing for 3 months) I have a single and a split pickup. I brace my thumb on the split and play. But after watching them I tried to play with my thumb on the single coil and it was very taut and sounded different. I decided to ask because I eventually want to buy a new bass that may have only a single or double pickup. Do bassists just play where it's really taut? Is my other split pickup affecting the sound?

2. lz4005

lz4005

People play everywhere from the middle of the neck to right next to the bridge.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep. Play where it's comfortable and/or sounds the best to you. And any pickup that's turned on affects the sound.