Tension, Guage, and EQ

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jd_watt, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hi everyone,

So, I've been looking for more tension out of my 45-105's because I tend to have an aggressive attack, both with fingers and pick. I'm using D'Addarios lights, love the way they sound, and would prefer NOT to move up to a medium gauge. I love the tone, and they feel good with my fretting hand.

Do I have any other way of getting a higher string tension before I jump up a gauge? The second part of my question is, would some sort of an eq setting help with that "stiffness" in tone and feel that more tension might provide?

Thanks for having a look!
  2. lz4005

lz4005

No and no.
  3. jd_watt

jd_watt

lol. Well...
  4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    You can seek out stiff strings rather than slinky/flexible ones - opinions on said characteristics are searchable. A stiffer string can suffer from inharmonics which makes strings act a bit like a marimba key - this is most prevalent in larger gauges.

Getting larger flexible strings will give you actual physical tightness and let the string behave as it ought to. A tighter flexible string may have a brighter sound as it increases the string's capacity to display more upper transients.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

You can try out some DR Lo Riders. Very stiff strings.
  8. FourBanger

FourBanger

If your attack and fretting impacts your playing 45-105s it will still effect you playing 50-110s. It may diminish a little but at the cost of the other things you've said you like about your current set.

Can you describe the exact issue you are having?