Tension, Guage, and EQ

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jd_watt, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hi everyone,

So, I've been looking for more tension out of my 45-105's because I tend to have an aggressive attack, both with fingers and pick. I'm using D'Addarios lights, love the way they sound, and would prefer NOT to move up to a medium gauge. I love the tone, and they feel good with my fretting hand.

Do I have any other way of getting a higher string tension before I jump up a gauge? The second part of my question is, would some sort of an eq setting help with that "stiffness" in tone and feel that more tension might provide?

Thanks for having a look!

2. lz4005

lz4005

3. jd_watt

jd_watt

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    You can seek out stiff strings rather than slinky/flexible ones - opinions on said characteristics are searchable. A stiffer string can suffer from inharmonics which makes strings act a bit like a marimba key - this is most prevalent in larger gauges.

Getting larger flexible strings will give you actual physical tightness and let the string behave as it ought to. A tighter flexible string may have a brighter sound as it increases the string's capacity to display more upper transients.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

You can try out some DR Lo Riders. Very stiff strings.

8. FourBanger

FourBanger

If your attack and fretting impacts your playing 45-105s it will still effect you playing 50-110s. It may diminish a little but at the cost of the other things you've said you like about your current set.

Can you describe the exact issue you are having?