Tension issues with Labella flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eyoyo, Mar 19, 2014.

1. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Dear Flats users,

I few months go I took some D'addario 45-105 off my AV57 Pbass to install Labella 760FL strings (43-104).
    I immediately noticed that there was some unusual string buzz
    after 12 to 20 frets.
    I shown my bass to an instrument maker and he said that my neck was twisted! And he found out that the angle of my bridge was not 90° anymore. It's a bit crooked.
    I said: no way! I've used all kind of strings on it and the action is ultra low without any buzz.
    I have all kind of 45-105 rounds and TI flats.
    I said: ok let me try it back with classical D'adddario 45-105 round wound strings.
    I let the bass rest 2 days and the neck was back to it's original perfect shape.
    Either I got a bad set of Labella 760FL that was not tension / balanced or Labella are not for my bass.
    I'm a bit stubborn and I would like to use my bass with labellas so I bought a different set of labellas, the 760FS.
    760FL are 043 - 060 - 082 - 104 when 760FS are 045 - 065 - 085 - 105 which is a more common gauge (even if flats tension is always higher compared to same round gauge).
    My Fender AV57 P-bass is actually set with d'addario 45-100 chromes and works perfectly. Except I miss the Labella tone ;)

Do you think I should try this Labella 45-105 (760FS) and experience Labella pleasure?

Or do you think my bass won't like it better than the 760FL and I should forget about higher gauges on that bass.

Are Labella 45-105 really more stiff than D'addario 45-100 chromes ?
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

In my experience i found Chromes to be a little more tense feeling. I don't know how many pounds of pressure they actually put on the neck.
  3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

199.75lbs total for the set.
  4. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

And what would be the tension of labellas ?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basmicke

basmicke

I actually had a similar experience when I bought my first LaBella 45-105 set. I returned it and got a new one and that worked fine. I've since then had another set that also works fine.
    On the other hand my impression also is that sim gauged Chromes or Ernie Ball flats have a bit more tension and gives less buzz risk. The La Bellas though gives you a bit more 'ompf' or 'thump' because they are a bit less tense.
  7. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Do you think I should retry another set of 43-104 or go for the 45-105?
  8. basmicke

basmicke

IMO, If you really want that old school 'no treble whatsoever thump' go for the balanced 45-105 LaBellas. I usually love the LaBella sound when I put them on but after a couple of weeks I tend to miss some of the sustain and stringsound and change to my Ernie Balls 50-105 that i found out works best for me as a flatwound choice. They have a bit more sustain and top but still sounds and feels like traditional flats.
    Everyone probably has different experiences so don't take my word for it. I guess you have to try. Basses tend to have different favorite strings to :)
  9. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Well, so far I could say that my favorite strings are old nickel wound like d'addario EXL165 (45-105) or Fender stock strrings.*
    I'm not a fan of bright strings but I like when it growls and has deep lows.