1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tension Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jd_watt, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Quick question for the string kings (and queens) out there: D'Addario offers XL Nickel Wound in long scale and super long scale. The super long scale has more tension, but would they actually feel any different after being cut and placed on a P-bass?

I like the Nickel Rounds, but I'm after a little more string tension. I wondered if switching to the super long scale would help. I really don't want to change gauge, and I love the tone.

Thanks!

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i doubt you'll notice any difference (if there's any at all)
    i think the extra tension for the super-long sets was calculated by being strung up to pitch on bass(es) with a scale length greater than 34". the only way to get more tention is either a)up the gauge, or b)switch brands and find a set in similar gauges with higher tention.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Not sure if I'm a king or a queen, but I'll answer anyway :)

dedpool is right. there is no difference at all, they are the same strings other than the super long scale being wound longer. the tension difference you see is only because the super long was calculated at 35" scale.

4. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hahaha... sounds good guys - thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vxjoe

vxjoe

D'Addario offers advice by phone. I use Chromes on my Fender Jazz. I need the super longs if I string through the body, or the longs if I string through the bridge. I don't notice much difference, if any, since the Scale length remains the same using either S or SL. Scale length is from nut to bridge saddle.

Let us know what you find out.

7. Jensby design

Jensby design

If you want more tension you need (literally)heaver strings. A larger gauge will do the trick.
    https://www.bassstringsonline.com/ is great place to find what your looking. They sell D'Addario single up to .160 :rolleyes: so all tension you want :ninja: unless your one of those subcontra guys :ninja:
    Personally I am not a fan of D'Addario's bigger gauges, but they work just fine as long as you don't have a low-B IMO.
    There are only 2 brands I recommend for that.