1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tension Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by civilengr, Nov 21, 2012.

1. civilengr

civilengr

I am pretty new to bass. I recently sold my MIM P Bass and got a used 2001 American Standard Jazz which I love so far. I took the bass to a tech to get it set up and gave him medium chromes which is what I had on the P. I had regular slinkys on the jazz. I had him lower the action some. The E A and D are tighter but feel good. The G feels way tighter and was actually tuned to an F# when I got it back. Do I need to worry about this extra tension eventually warping the neck or causing other problems?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Is the G string really a G string and not a D in the G position?

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Hmmm - the medium chromes are these:
    [​IMG]

If the Thinner two strings are swapped or of the same thickness you'll know you have an error.

Here are some more close up examples (I think):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my personal experience playing the medium chromes set (only long scale and only on one bass) the D string is the most stiff, followed closely by the G, then the A and the most give is in the E string. The MIA Jazz neck should be easily able to handle the chromes tension - if not you've got problems. I was surprised at the tension some flats put on the bass . . . and my hands!

I think the next time I get chromes It'll be the lighter set or the custom light set (40 - 100). I may do so when these TI's run out (don't hold yer breath:D).

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    It doesn't hurt to dummy check you never know!

Correct, the tension on the D string is the highest in the set...

The same set of strings will feel different on different instruments, its weird like that... neck angle / the truss / action will all effect the string feel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Absolutely - I know the chromes set feels unlike any other string I've played - in a few ways, and I felt the strings were being overtightened when I was first stringing up - They were my first flats so that was a big part of the story.