terminology problems, what does it mean to "play through the changes"?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GlennCarbon, Dec 17, 2013.

1. GlennCarbon

GlennCarbon

Over the years i have tried to read as much as I can on music stuff, the articles in the backs of magazines,books e.t.c. It seems to me people may use two different terms to explain the same thing or use the same term to explain two diffwrent things.Does the term mean to solo over chords, or over like a weird turn around part that is a seperate key , is it synonymous with blanketing?
  2. the_stone

the_stone

It's an ambiguous phrase, but in jazz circles (which is usually where I've heard it) it just means that a player is skilled at playing, soloing, comping, etc... over a given set of chord changes, versus audibly struggling to make a coherent musical statement.

It might also be used as a directive from a bandleader - "play through the changes" meaning stick to the written (or otherwise dictated harmony) versus introducing substitutions or a re-harmonization.
  3. GlennCarbon

GlennCarbon

So it could mean to imrpovise or it could mean to un-improvise? I was worried that something was wrong with my ability to understand music vocabulary but nope, it seems that music vocabulary itself is the one with the problem. Thanks!
  4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

It would be helpful to know the context in which the phrase is being used.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

7. mambo4

mambo4

It means "play what supports the chords"
    Never heard used to mean anything else.
  8. fmoore200

fmoore200

I thought I was the only one in TB that over thinks things! Welcome Glenn!! I've been so lonely, it'll be nice to have company! :p:D

I kid, I kid.

The only thing it means to me is an abbreviation of the following: "here are the chords of the tune we're going to play. We are all going to use these chords as a map to play coherently together. 1,2,3,4..."
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Play what fits over the chords which can mean actually playing the chords, the melody, or improvising over the chord progression.
  10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Music vocabulary is very clear but many people like to call an apple and orange because they don,t know. Like many people throw the world triplet for every groupe of three notes ... a triplet is a rythm figure.

You sentence has nothing to do with music vocabulary, it a cue thing among musician while performing