Terrible ...and cocky band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LazyGecko, Dec 27, 2013.

1. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

So I was at this "church" related gig. I say church in quotes because I am yet to find out how the event was church related. Overall I found the whole thing to be ridiculous but this one band was the icing on the cake. These dudes were cocky as hell. I mean they looked for every opportunity to fill space by throwing riffs and licks into the songs and they DESTROYED the songs. They also behaved like rock stars when in reality like 2 people went to see them.

They weren't even good either. In fact they were terrible. The singer sounded like a frog being strangled. The guitarist sounded like a Van Halen reject (He employed many "riffs" if they are worthy of being called that). The bass player ...don't even get me started. He was absolute trash. Imagine Michael Anthony trying to play a Jaco Pastorius tune in a rock song. It didn't work out very well to say the least. Apart from that the drummer was good but I know him personally and he is a bit odd. After that my group came up and we played a decent set and I went straight home because I was scared to see what other "bands" might be there.

Yeah I know this was more of a rant but oh well. Have you guys seen this before? Has anyone seen any worse? Please share your terrible/cocky band stories :)
  2. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

Cool story bro.
  3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Not exactly, but I know quite a few local musicians and am routinely meeting new ones. On more than one occasion I have been introduced to a musician and get a chance to talk to them before I hear them play. Every once in awhile I'll meet cocky ones who really seem like they know their stuff...until you hear them play. It's unbelievable that some of them can actually get any gigs.
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I love those guys those show you every lick they know in one song. That story reminds me of a cover/bar band that was ruined by their drummer. I walk in and see this very large "Moving Pictures" era Neil Peart sized drum kit. On every single song the drummer tried to "shoe horn" Neil Peart licks in. Imagine "Sharp Dressed Man" crossed with "YYZ." It was terrible.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Only thing as bad is playing a PERSONAL charity gig for an individual and the other band setting up their merchandise table(for their own gain).....Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!??
  7. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Yep, that's a tell tale sign of inexperience and immaturity.
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Lima Oscar Lima!!! :D
  9. trimslinger

trimslinger

Sierra Oscar Sierra!:rollno:

"negative Ghostrider .. the pattern is full !"