Terrible band name...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mr L, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Mr L

Mr L

So I've joined a band with my buddy. Hes a really awesome guy and when he found out i played bass he invited me in since he had kicked the old bassist out a few weeks prior. He has written 8 or 9 songs which i love and have thrown new basslines over.

However the problem comes, i absolutely can't stand the band name. Our music is basically a mix of blink 182 (he seriously sounds just like Mark Hoppus), chili peppers, and the ramones.

The bands name is Godica, when i first heard it i thought he was joking. I know what your thinking "Isn't that just Metallica with God thrown in it?" and that's exactly what i thought. He told me after the 2 years of playing shows and stuff that he had never understood why anyone would think that.

I just think it's an absolutely terrible name. Maybe it would grow on me but that's something I've always taken very seriously. Cause the name is what people see and most of the time make their first judgments based on the name. I've always made a point to have an interesting and cool name.

Should i just suck it up? He's a good friend of mine and the drummer doesn't much like the name either so he would accept input but i don't want to be like "Your name sucks bro, we should change it" and cause tension.

I love the music we make and this seems like something so trivial but names of things have always been a big deal to me for some reason.
  2. hudpucker

hudpucker

Yeah, that name sucks, IMO.

Would be especially bad for a cover band ("Godica"...oh, really?)

Not that it's 'cool' for an original band either.
  3. Mr L

Mr L

I know, it's so bad...

Problem is he thinks it's the coolest name in the history of ever...
  4. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

Try to make it a reasonable discussion, if you can.
    The "your name sucks" doesn't work so well, but if you can get a non-specific, non-confrontational discussion going about the band's name in general, it might open some things up, without causing problems.

If he's dead set on that name, I am not sure what you can do.
  5. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

Not worse than my old band Skidmark!
  6. 4001

How about OMGodica?

I know...just as brutal.
  7. thlayli

thlayli

Yeek! That IS a bad band name. I'm not sure if that's better than "Loincloth" or not.
  8. thlayli

thlayli

"Skidmark" is actually awesome, though. Especially if you were a Skid Row tribute band.
  9. Mr L

Mr L

Another problem comes that he already has like a facebook page and everything setup and logos and stuff...
  10. 4001

LOL!

I like funny band names I can remember. That, I would remember.
    Another TB'er mentioned in another thread, his band called "Clinton's Cigar". Now, I'd see that just because of the name.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

People thought "The Beatles" was a weird name if the band hits it big and you left because of the name you will be silly and it must be a generation gap because I could care less what the name of the band is as long as the music is good don't become a poser.
  12. thlayli

thlayli

Actually, now that I think about it...

Considering the type of music you guys are playing, I would suggest sticking a number at the end of the name. "Godica 449" or something. The name by itself isn't that bad, it's just incomplete in some way.

And somebody needs to be the one to tell him that what he thinks is cool isn't as cool as he thinks.
  13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Wait a bit until you're more established in the group and then have a band meeting. And in the context of discussing how to market the band and what type of fan base you're trying to bring in, discuss how the name is probably off-putting to potential new fans. The idea is to have something more catchy and accessible that will appeal to fans and venues. If the name sounds amateurish, is off-putting in some way, or otherwise doesn't reflect the music you're putting out, it could be hard to build a fan base.

Don't just make it about your personal dislike for the name. Frame it as a marketing issue for the band generally.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

One of the bands you are covering is called "The Red Hot Chili Peppers" and people thought it was a silly name but the band kicked much arse it seems to me that you will be hung up on the name no matter what so quit and start your own band just don't be a band with a "cool" name that nobody cares about.
  15. Mr L

Mr L

I definitely don't want to quit the band. Also the RHCP is a great name. I like unique obscure names, i think one of my biggest problems with the name is people always link it with metallica. Not to bash metallica but i really don't want to be connected to them at all.

I've been playing with them for about a month and have kept the idea of not liking the name to myself until a few days ago i brought up how i think the name is just bad.

There are strange names, awesome names, and just plain bad names. I have no problem with strange or obscure names. I just can't stand blatantly BAD names...
  16. 4001

Godica666
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

How about Godzillica?
  18. 4001

19. craig.p

craig.p

Make the 1st letter lowercase, and put a dash over the "o" to make it a long o.

gōdica
  20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Lmfao! Do it!