1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Terrible Live Rendition of "San Francisco" - Say It Ain't Joe! (Osborn)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jaywa, May 23, 2011.

1. jaywa

jaywa

I was youtubing this song (one of my all time favorites) by Scott McKenzie and found this dreadful live rendition, supposedly recorded at the Monterey Festival in 1967.

YouTube - ‪San Francisco - Scott McKenzie‬‏

Then later when I was surfing Joe Osborn I saw something that said he played at the Monterey Festival, backing up the Mamas and the Papas.

As a huge fan of Joe Osborn I find it very hard to believe it's him on that Monterey clip. It sort of sounds like his tone but the dude on that clip can barely play and has no idea how the song is supposed to go! And they never show anyone in the band so it's impossible to confirm the player's identity.

Anyone have some insights into this?
  2. grayhawk1853

grayhawk1853

Probably not Joe. He recorded for a bunch of different bands on their studio versions as part of the wrecking crew but didn't have the time or inclination to tour after he started doing session work so it most likely is not him on that.
  3. jaywa

jaywa

That's what I have to think too. The guy at Monterey sounds like he had never even heard the song before... much less played on the studio recording of it.
  4. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, it was Joe and Hal Blaine as the rhythm section. I have to dig out my Monterey DVD............
  5. jaywa

jaywa

Hal Blaine as the drummer on that clip I could buy. The drumming is very much in his style, and solid. The rest of the band, not so much.
  6. lowsmatter

lowsmatter

I'm a huge Joe fan too. but i saw him in one frame backing the mamas & papas. He did get lost a few times, during San Fran & Dancing in The Street. Musta been a off-night for him. Hal Blaine was tight as wax!
  7. faivy

faivy Supporting Member

That was 1967. Monitors and sound reinforcement were not what they later became. Quite possible he was not hearing what was going on around him.
  8. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Sounds fine to me....but then again, I'm a hack.
  9. MLysh

MLysh

I think it's Mike Gordon on this...
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Doesn't sound bad. I've heard a lot worse. You have to consider the technology available at the time.
  11. OldDog52

OldDog52

To me it sounds like the bassist wasn't all that familiar with the song. Like maybe had only heard it once or twice and never performed it. Most of the band is raggedy except for the drummer. But the performance has "character" and should be considered in context. :bassist:

Love the song and love Scott McKenzie's voice on it.
  12. chuckNC

chuckNC

Maybe he drank the Kool-Aid?
  13. chuckNC

chuckNC

I'm in a room full of screaming kids at the moment but I tried to listen to the clip. This isn't a 3-chord song here and, best as I can tell, the bass player is hitting the changes. Familiar with the song? Session guys are playing new songs all the time. He may have played on the recording but that doesn't mean he had any recollection of the song. My post about the Kool-Aid (or the heavy smoke in the air for that matter) could be relevent. It sure sounds like Hal Blaine on the drums, but go to about 2:40 and notice the confusion when the key changes. That drum fill just before 3:00 is some kind of messed up. We are talking about the sixties here.:D
  14. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

The film uses the studio version as the closing music. My recollection was that somebody in control, maybe John Phillips, didn't like the live version. I assumed it was Scott's vocals, but the band sounds out of tune and sluggish. I read this somewhere, but can't recall the source.
    Correction: I think it was opening, not closing, music.