1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Terrible practice...hopefully good show follows?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invader3k, Feb 20, 2014.

1. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Ugh. We had a terrible rehearsal last night, and have a show this Saturday. This will be our second show with the current lineup.

Drummer just didn't have it together last night. I'll admit I wasn't perfect, but I was fine overall...guitarist did good, other than a couple minor flubs.

Practice didn't start off well, as the drummer was a half hour late due to traffic (he works about 45 minutes from our city). OK, no big deal.

It was clear he wasn't bringing his A-game. He kept complaining how tired he was, and "I took a 5 Hour Energy but it's not working". His tempos were off, and I had to stop a song and basically yell at him because he kept speeding up a song and it was messing up my playing and singing.

Another annoyance was that we ran through "59 Sound" by the Gaslight Anthem. He made several mistakes through out, and then afterwards said, "I don't think we've ever done that one all the way through."

We both had to tell him, "No, we've done that one several times with you, and we played it at the last show!"

Just a little bit frustrating...guy is a good drummer, but it's kind of clear he hasn't been doing homework since the last show.

So...now I'm kind of nervous about our show. Hopefully the adage that a good show follows a terrible practice will take place here. We'll see.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

can you squeeze in another short quick rehearsal before the show - if not, probably what you heard last night is what you can expect Saturday night. Good luck
  3. randyripoff

randyripoff

I'm sure you'll get lots of different responses, but from back in my theatre days, I always thought it was a good omen if a rehearsal shortly before a show went poorly. I think if everyone acknowledges the issue, they'll be much more focused and prepared when the show starts.
  4. 2behead

2behead

I feel the same way, if you all know it was not where it should have been. It's like you know where the mistakes were and they are fresh. It almost hyper focuses everyone. When everything sounds awesome people get complacent. Now if he was unaware..... That's a bit different. I'm usually a mess at rehearsals, I forget changes. I was feeling pretty bad at rehearsal and started to say how sorry I was for being unprepared and the singer/ band leader stopped me. "You shut your dirty mouth. Your a great player. Out of all of us you're the one I never worry about." She said it took her about 6 months of gigging to realize I was bombproof at gigs but a mess at rehearsals. It could just be how the guy rolls. I have pretty bad case of the ADHD so I have a hard time focusing. BUT when I do focus it is a hyper focus. ( pun intended) if he is good, and you get along with him I'd say just ride it out for a few gigs.
  5. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

I've often found that a bad rehearsal leads to a good show. Of course, we're all solid musicians, so a bad rehearsal leads to more at home practice and much more (nervous) energy at the show. Both are good things. Don't expect the drummer to do anything differently than he did, and you'll be prepared for the worst, and he might surprise you. Keep locked with him, know your parts, and the audience will love it.
  6. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

It wouldn’t hurt to send the drummer a message saying “Dude, rehearsal was a little rough in some spots last night. Please do your homework and get some rest before the gig, and we’ll be good to go. Let me know if you need any help on anything.”

That way, you’ve (hopefully) covered your butt and set the proper expectations.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

I know ONE WAY to find out!
  8. mikegug

mikegug

For us, usually the practice or sound check is never indicitive of the outcome of the show.

Last show was great. In sound check we sounded like hacks.
  9. marko138

marko138

I've had plenty of bad rehearsals a day or two out from a gig and the gig went fine.
  10. invader3k

I may do this. Hopefully he doesn't take it the wrong way.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

good luck with that
  12. invader3k

Actually, I just texted him about it. He texted back and said he hasn't gotten more than three hours sleep any night this week. He's off tomorrow though, so should get a good night's rest. I replied back that hopefully he rests up, and he should run through the set list if he has a chance. Hopefully he takes the hint.
  13. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    What you go through I guarantee you 95% of all bands go through with the drummer deal. Drummers have an incredible amount of pressure on there shoulders since they basically dictate the flow of the song and everyone is following them. All the really good, locked down drummers with near flawless tempo are out making good money and mostly taken. Drumming almost seems like a thankless job because perfection is expected and the only way to go is down. To all the drummers out there,,take a bow....tough job
  14. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

No wonder the poor guy was tired at rehearsal.
    A good nights rest and a decent sound check day of show should put it right.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Exactly! The joke we have internally is if the last rehearsal before a show is too good, we have to do something really terrible to avoid jinxing the show. Our drummer is amazingly drama-free and ususally isn't the reason for a lousy rehearsal. She's completely self-critical, but I don't remember the last time she derailed anything.
  16. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

actually most of our best gigs came after our crappiest practices.

to the OP do you think he doesn't know he had a crap practice? leave the dude alone let him rest and leave him alone some more. He doesn't need to "run thru the set" he needs you off his back.
  17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

the best drummers know everyones parts - and make all the transitions for everyone easy
  18. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I don't know what you guys are talking about - in my experience you can expect the show to be slightly worse than the last performance.

Whatever mistakes people are still making at the last practice, they're going to make at the show, plus whatever additional mistakes they're going to make due to nerves/pressure/human error/unforseen circumstances/luck/fate.

Doesn't mean it won't be a good show, and/or that the energy won't make up for mistakes.
  19. 2behead

2behead

This^^^^^^^^^. I dabble with the kit and it is very hard to keep it together if someone is blowing it.
  20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I know the old theater saw, "bad dress rehearsal, good opening night." But that does assume that prior to that bad dress, everyone knew what they were doing. The rehearsal screwups motivate everybody to come into the show focused and pumped. The same thing can happen in music, but really my expectation is that in a live performance you get about 85% of what you did in practice - there's just too many distractions and adjustments live to nail the tunes just like you did at your best practice. Unless you've been gigging the tunes together for a long time already and the distractions no longer distract...