Terror Bass! Affected by Effects

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Aloha Team Bassmen/persons
    Three questions:
    I recently bought an Orange Terror Bass 500. Sick amp. The thing is, when I use any effects, it colors the tone of the amp. (of course it does!, but even a compressor [Boss multi]it degrades the sound-meaning-the clean signal is so good to me, I like to go direct) I play in an orig. funk rock band, and in this case, it adds to the "signature". However, I play in a cover/orig. band, and I like some variety (Zoom B-3). Moreover, I usually play extended range (6-Bongo) and a Fretless with the latter group, but lately, I have been feeling my P.
    Questions:
    1. Does the untrained ear really notice that I am using the SVT or the Aguilar model "through an Orange?
    2. Does anyone like to toy with amp models on the stage?
    3. Has anyone from the "extended range" tribe ever had a "I'm feeling the simplicity of a four/P for a little while" feeling?
    Note: The lead singer of the second group is Diva Knieval and she wants multiple tones. I have other rigs, but damn that Orange is really cool.
  2. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I have never been able to gig with "models". I always run into an issue with note clarity and what the models designer intended to be the "musical non-linearities".
    I've opted instead to just rely on pickup switching and varied technique to get my different tones. I love effects, I own dozens, but playing out live I find them to get in the way and introduce one more thing to worry about.
    Though I can see if you are playing covers it is kind of necessary to be able to hit the tones of the songs you are covering.

One thing I would also look out for is the EQ on that bass. Those Bongos can put out an absurd amount of low end if you boost the bass too much. This may sound dandy through the head, but flatten the effect boxes.
  3. mr.black

mr.black

Personally i like my terror 1000 to do what Orange does best, sound (mostly) like an Orange. Amp Modeling effects certainly can improve the sound of a generic rig (like my way old peavey head) but with the orange I limit to compression, tuner and distortion and always through the effects loop.
  4. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

I've always gone direct with effects. My guitarist said that I should use the effects loop. However, my Boss pedal allows me to bypass. Is there a better or worse?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The loop on the amp is normally line level, while stomp boxes are instrument level. So, with few exceptions, running stomp boxes directly to the main input on the amp is preferred. Save the loop for line level gear, ie:rack effects.
  7. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

1. Running amp simulation into the front end of a bass amp like that, it's going to be difficult at best to really make the 'effect' worth while. In my experience and humble opinion.

2. I've used modeling onstage quite a bit, straight into the power amp/DI. But, I have my pre-amp set up in a loop on my multi, so that I can remove it from the chain whenever I need/want.
  8. JFOC

JFOC

QFT
    Try putting it in front, should sound a bit beefier.
  9. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I do the same... playing style, adjust controls on my bass. I play hip hop, girl band, and modern metal and use the same settings on my head + sansamp generally (but through different cabs), and get by with my onboard controls. If I am recording my neurotic side comes out and all bets are off though.

I'd toss that modeler and get something higher quality for a second tone. Tone Hammer, Sansamp, VT, etc.