Terror bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HugoBazZ, Nov 30, 2013.

1. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

What are People's takt on the orange terror bass? :)

2. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

3. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

I heard one a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The 500W version. I just bought and Aguilar TH500 but seriously would have re-considered if I had heard the Orange first.

4. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

I wanted one for a long time after playing through a friend's orange amps. Recently acquired a Terror Bass 1000. I love it. Just swapped tubes for JJs and it sounds even better. Orange TB makes my Ric sing and i love it's simplicity. Tons of power, tiny, portable chassis, and sounds like Orange... what's not to love?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Handy small, limited EQ, which is often a good thing as people are bad at EQ, the mid is cut only in spite of the labelling implying otherwise. Really don't sound like a valve amp like some people claim. Earlier generation ones had an issue with gain, barely any clean on the dial, and too hot DI. Some also had a caps issue that made the caps explode sometimes, ones surviving are probably OK by now. Both sorted on later ones.

7. Pudge Fish

I agree it's not QUITE as rich and 'tube-y' as it may seem, but if you dig the sound, it's one helluva nice head that sits well between the all-valve heads and good digital options.

8. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Want the 1000w version with two Isobaric 4x10s stacked vertically...

9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

10. Pudge Fish

Oh yea... I can feel it...
    i need better cabs.

11. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I have the TB 1000 and IMO it does get pretty close to a tube feel, especially with all the headroom. The 500 may not, but it seems there is a pretty big difference in both tone and power between the 500 and 1000. The 1000 is worth the extra $300, as long as you have cabs that will handle it. You really can't beat the weight and portability, or Orange USA's customer service. As far as I know all the issues with the original run of TB 500's have been fixed. I never have any issues with mine and I put 10 plus hours a week on it.

12. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

I've had my TB500 for a year and I love it as much as I did when I got it. It does everything I need it to. I swapped out the stock tubes and popped in a pair of vintage Telefunken 12AX7 long ribbed plate tubes. To my ear, it got better.

I'm playing it through a Glasstone Lil G (2-12's) and I've never had to go above 4 on the volume and that was in some decent size clubs with no PA support.

Oh and my entire kit weighs less than 50 pounds!.

Joe

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i thought they were a little pricey, so i just bought a vintage mesa tube head for about the same amount of cash, but they do sound really good and i'd like to get a lower watt version if one ever comes out

14. zachoff

zachoff

I dig mine though it's still a backup to my SVT.

15. edencab

edencab

sort of a newb here, but what is the advantage/reason to pay $$$ and have lots o' watts, but only go up to volume level 4 on the amp?
    sounds like a great rig though, heard good things about those cabs , and I do GAS for Orange gear

R

16. blaxquid

blaxquid

Headroom - less distortion! If you play with some OD or like some growl (the latter's definition varies) there's not much point other than volume.

17. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I'd like it if they stuck to baxandall eq. instead of poopy fmv tonestack.

18. rickomania1970

rickomania1970

orange terror has too much hoarse tone with my Ricks.very less effective eq.i can not use the legendary barking growl of rickenbacker with orange terror and sold.maybe it is good for 70s style jazzbass and its clones.also 4*10 isobarics are have too much lowend i think.terror head and isobarics are good for big aggressive tone with a lot of lows only.

19. adamafurious

adamafurious

I've had the 500 and now the 1k.
    Outfitted mine with vintage Tung Sols. I play all types of music and have never had anything but compliments.
    Simple and effective.

20. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    B y the time you figure the last part, they already have your lots of $$$ because you were impressed by the lots of watts. Same sort of deal as having a mid knob in an eq that gives less mid control options than the two knob baxandall eq.

21. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both a Terror Bass 500 and a Terror Bass 1000, and I love them both (though I should probably sell one of them, since the 500 is hella loud!). I really dig them, but then again, I really like the Orange AD200B, and they share the same preamp. Their output sections are very robust, and the 4/8 ohm switch actually works! Burst power is amazing out of these guys. You can check out the review from Bass Gear Magazine #6, here.