1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tested: Aguilar 4P-Hot vs. Dimarzio P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lefty007, Dec 6, 2013.

1. lefty007

lefty007

So, I've been a big fan of Dimarzio Ps (and Js) for the last decade or so. I end up putting them in almost every Fender-type bass I've owned, so they kinda are "my" sound.

I just put together a really nice P-Bass with a J neck and wanted to try something different. Never been a fan of vintage-correct pickups. I like big volume, attitude and big sound. So I tried to new Aguiar P pickup, hot version.

Really pleased. The Aguilar is almost as loud, but not quite as much as the Dimarzio. A bit more tame, but a lot more balanced in every direction. Not as crystalline sounding as a vintage-type pickup, but almost. Pretty clear for being an overwound pickup.

The Dimarzio still has a lot more attitude, treble and mids, and girth overall. Although, this comparison is based on "opposite" P-basses, sorta. The Dimarzio is on a '73 P with ash body and all maple neck; the Aguilar is on a recent alder P body and a rosewood fretboard. . . I can really hear the brightness and snap of the maple/ash, and I can really hear the smoothness in the alder/rosewood P-Bass.

Interestingly, I have a fretless Yamaha (probably poplar or basswood body) with a Dimarzio P, and it's notably unfocused and darker than both these basses, which proves that at least wood type has a bit impact in sound (I know this is a life-long debate, whether wood affect tone, but that has been discussed to death).

All in all, I'm still a fan of the Dimarzios but the Aguilar Hot is really nice too, a lot smoother but not as soft as normal P pickup - which, well, pretty much fits the description. Great choice for those looking for a hotter pickup that still retains some of the traditional characteristics of a P pickup.

It'd be interesting to compare a Duncan Quater Pounder with this new Aguilar Hot, since the designs are similar.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nice review, it sounds like it may be a high output pickup that actually sounds good.