Testing of an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rcoleman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. rcoleman

rcoleman

I just bought an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro from a pawn shop nearby. It came with the road case, Korg Tuner, and Furman equalizer for $650 out the door. It seemed like a good deal, so I went for it having only been able to test each channel independently through some crappy cab they had there at the store. They both produced sound, which was all I was really familiar with how to test anyway. I know I need to test the mono/bridge output, so I was going to take it over to GC if need be. But, my question is for everyone, what tests outside of the mono/bridge output would you test? This amp is unfamiliar territory for me and I just want to make sure that what I have here in my possession is exactly what it's supposed to be. I only ask this because the pawn shop gave me two days to test it, and if I'm not satisfied, I can still return it.

Thanks!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just try it and make sure it works that way. But chances are it will if both sides are working. And if the rest of the amp is sound from where you sit, you should be alright.
  3. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

This amp requires a special connector wiring for the bridged socket in the back, as well as the button being in the correct position. Step 1 would be to get ahold of the owners manual off of the internet. This is not the simplest amp to use, but it is the most versitile. That price you got it for, with a case and other goodies is about as good as it gets!
  4. rcoleman

rcoleman

Thanks y'all! I ended up taking it to GC to test it, and everything sounded good. The master volume was pretty scratchy and cut in and out, but due to the wear and tear and dirt of this thing, the guy assumed it was a dirty pod. Which I think is a fair assumption. Thanks again for the advice!
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dirty pots are no big whoop. A little working it out a few times back and forth usually clears stuff up, or a shot of Deoxit if not.