Texting while Drumming?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

It was a new one for me. Band playing a song in rehearsal and drummer pulls out a phone to read a Text. He kinda one handed the beat for a little bit. Never saw that before.
  2. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I've seen it, from a drummer that wasn't in the band much longer. Ok, if it's a low pressure unpaid rehearsal that's one thing, but at a live show, I blew a gasket afterwards as he missed the song ending. All about the context of the situation and assuming it's a one timer, not habit.

I've had work blow up on me while rehearsing so it's either cancel rehearsal or let me multi-task. Some things are excusable.
  3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I had a keys guy pull out a cell phone once. He continued to play the most amazing solo while talking on the phone, with the whole band still playing. That was a piece of band history forever remembered...
  4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

The keyboard player I play with did a similar thing. But in addition to soloing, and talking on a cell phone, he was also watching his day-trading screen, placing buy/sell orders, posting on facebook, IM'ing his girlfriend AND wife.

While all this was going on, the dummer was texting and changing the oil in his car.

Amazing!

And the solos killed!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Unless it is an emergency, this is rude and disrespectful to the other band members. Back before cell phones and texting we were playing at the guitar players house and he set his guitar down in the middle of a song to add fabric softener to his laundry. He had other issues, but that was the end for me.

If someone can't stay off the phone for a three hour rehearsal, I don't need them.
  7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I bet this drummer pulls out his phone at the live show.
  8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

If you have the skill to pull it off, go ahead!
  9. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    I have a drummer friend who I hire for my funk band- he is a remarkable cat with impeccable chops and time. One night we were KILLING it at a gig- I was singing and playing bass and he was kicking some incredible 16th note feels behind me. I turned around to smile and engage and shocked to see that he had his i-device in his hand playing a slide show of naked ladies.

He help up the device to me while playing a one handed fill and screamed

"TITTIES!!!"
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

... I text and such during practice, most of my one handed skills are used to open my bottle and consume water though. I am a competent two handed tapper, I can handle tapping some lines just fine.

I would never do this at a gig unless I was showboating. ;)
  11. hands5

hands5

Disclosures:
    none
    Oh well I guest I'm from the old school were this **** wouldn't have been tolerated, although we didn't have cell phones and pda's back then, but even if those vices were available.. there's no way in hell anybody could pull that BS no matter how good you may have been.
  12. groooooove

groooooove

in a rehearsal.. clicking it and looking at a message isint the end of the world.

stopping playing to respond or something is.
  13. JimK

JimK

Been there...done that.
    The stick that broke the camel's back with this particular guy-
    He'd rather stand outside Best Buy on a Monday (awaiting the latest version of Halo at midnite) than play music.
  14. JimK

JimK

During those back in the day gigs, I recall seeing-
    Lighting up a cigarette
    Taking a swig off double Jack Daniels
    ...it's like 1/2 the kit disappeared.
  15. JimK

JimK

A great drummer once told me/us-
    Play like you practice
    Practice like you play
  16. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

I use so many cymbals I could be naked back there and get away with it.
  17. groundhog

groundhog

Our drummer for a jazz band I'm in pulls out his phone and orders burritos for dinner. What goes through drummers' heads?
  18. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

I can only speak for myself...
    Gentle breezes and echoes, mostly.
  19. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

For himself or for the band?

Its kind of like this... If you came home and discovered that somehow your dog figured out how to take a crap in your refregerator, would you be pissed or be proud of him for figuring it out?
  20. b-rock

b-rock

I used to play with a guy who would not only text during live shows, but at bar gigs he'd order from the waitress and literally eat chicken wings... while playing.... Probably the best drummer I've ever played with, but was a total dick personality. What I refer to as an "artist dick".
  21. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You might want to turn off your phone at one of my practices.

Unless you just enjoy the sound of my voice.

In that case, LEAVE IT ON, and ANSWER IT ANY TIME!