1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thank you Bass Central!

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by squeegie, Oct 21, 2013.

1. squeegie

squeegie

I just had to share my Bass Central experience.
    The wife & I made the trip over to Fern Park this past Saturday in hopes of trying out an MTD Kingston Z 5. I had read a lot on-line about the bass, and a friend of mine recently purchased one and loved it. I was pretty set on the fact that this was the bass for me. I had looked around at the other music stores in the Orlando area, but as I am sure a lot of you have discovered, there is a certain level of disappointment in Sam Ash or Guitar Center when you walk past wall after wall of all types of guitars only to find a wee tiny little corner with a handful of basses. This place is the antithesis of the big retail stores. The entire store is lined with one killer bass after another...and not one single guitar :)
    I am not a very seasoned player, and I was a bit nervous at first. I didn’t want to come off as one of those “more money than talent” types, so I made it clear that I was a novice and would need as much guidance as possible. “Grasshopper” talked with me for a bit about what kinds of music we play and what I am looking for. This was going to be my first major bass upgrade, so I wanted to do it right. I had expressed interest in the Andrew Gouche signature model as well, so he grabbed one from out in the warehouse and plugged me in while they looked for the Kingston Z5 that I was originally there to test out.
    What a killer bass.. this thing was smooth as butter, and not only looked great, but played like a dream. I’m usually not one to buy signature models because I know a lot of the cost is in the name, but this thing just felt right. Next they brought out the KZ5, and the difference was night and day. The Z felt very foreign to me compared to the AG.. don’t get me wrong, it was a beautiful bass, but the AG felt as though it was custom built just for me. It was genuinely one of those moments when you just know…
    So Grasshopper and “Capt. Dew” said it would take about 30 minutes or so to set my bass up, so the wife & I decided to run and get some lunch. During that time, I made the unconscious decision to purchase the rear bumper of a 2010 BMW 535i… as well as new front end for my own car. Orlando traffic and construction zones can be quite tricky to navigate, and the blind corner stop-light didn’t help either. So after filling out countless accident report forms and exchanging of information with the nice lady for whom I rear ended, I was back to get my bass ( along with a bag of Krystal burgers).
    My new bass was waiting for me, sitting comfortably in her new case and ready for the drive back to the coast. Oh.. but not yet.. we still have one more hurdle to cross my friends. We run the credit card only to find out that my account had been flagged as fraudulent.
    Frustration was beginning to kick in as I began to wonder why this black cloud was over my head. The wife called our bank and everything was back on track…
    The best part of all this is that it was cheaper than the on-line dealers. Always happy to spend my money with the small business owners rather than the corporate machines.
    So now.. my new bass hangs proudly on my wall, thanks to the guys at Bass Central. Keep up that kind of personal service, and you will have a customer for life.

-squeegie