Thanks Fender! '70s P bass necks for the masses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazznrick, Dec 19, 2013.

1. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A big reason why I bought my Fender Classic Series '70s Precision Bass was because it was the only non custom shop P which had black inlays. Buying this bass was no easy feat, as most of the majors do not carry it. Well now Fender has decided this bass' party piece should be for the masses. http://www.fender.com/store/precisi...le-frets-maple-fingerboard-with-block-inlays/

I've come to love my bass for reasons other than the inlays, but c'mon Fender! I feel a bit ripped off. My bass gets complements and/or disbelief and interest quite a bit. I wouldn't want a parts bass, but I would of liked a 50s fiesta red body/or charcoal frost body instead. Jerks.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

WOW !

Fender selling just necks. Is this the only neck Fender is selling as parts?

3. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

Damn, I was hoping for a vintage radius, too. Bummer.

And Mojo-Man, if you click the link, you'll see they're selling all sorts of parts. You can now build a parts bass directly from Fender.

4. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I wish Fender offered everything for sale individually.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

The store is only for US costumers :(

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Me either. It's possible they used a stock "70s P bass" neck and the actual one will be bullet. Or someone mucked up the ad copy and it won't be. Either way cool that the parts are available directly now.

8. headband

headband Supporting Member

I like mine too. One of the fastest P bass necks I've ever played. Feels more like a wide Geddy neck. Don't fret too much, at the price they are asking they aren't exactly giving them away.

9. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Be nice to have a rosewood board with pearl blocks and white binding.

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Well, I'd have to get one in my hot little hands to know, but my gut reaction is, $399.00 seems kind of steep.

11. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

Yesssssss! I would race to buy one at Millennium Falcon speed.

12. sotua

sotua

A Warmoth neck with the same specs will run you around USD 500, and won't say "Fender" in the headstock, FWIW...

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

14. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yeah you're right, I just did the neck builder at Warmoth web site, it came to $490.00 (+$60.00 for stiffening rods).

But it's a Warmoth neck made in the USA, not a MIM neck, FWIW. I've had good luck with recent MIM necks though.

Nice option for the purists. I didn't know blocks on a P Bass would be that popular. (I have a MIJ Precision Special with blocks, it has gotten a couple of snickers). Now a Jazz neck would be another story...

15. Yango

Yango

I agree with this statement 100%. This is what I see when I click on your link.

"We are sorry, our store is available only to U.S. customers."

I guess that they firmly believe that foreigners should not be allowed to even view their products.

I suppose it's ok though—the American Jazz Bass Deluxe that I did own, sucked, so I traded it away... Fender lost me as a customer a long time ago.

16. extreme

extreme

Hey, you don't want a "parts bass", but your bass looks like one as Fender never did block inlays on P-basses back in the day. You got something you wanted and like, so who cares what else Fender offers? Go play your bass and stop whining.