Thanks TB, I have GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JCheung, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

So it probably wasn't until I joined TB that I really delved into different basses and different tones. Ignorance was bliss, I played fine, sounded alright, and learned to play in rock and worship bands setting just fine w/o really nit picking my own tone. Around a year ago I started lurking and recently started supporting...but now I have GAS...:rollno:

After happily playing my SBMM Ray34 I am apparently convinced I love Fender basses...and once I get one I'm sure I'll be convinced I have to get more...

But, for the time being I have a question for you illustrious fellow TBers. In order to feed my GAS (and not spend too much money since I need the funds to go towards a personal rig and pedals) I want to trade my Ray for a Fender P, J or PJ. I say any of those since my bass influences all play different Fenders and I love them all. If I were to post my Ray for trade, would I be selling myself short by trading for a stock MiM Fender Standard? Would I be selling them short? My Ray34 is from 2012 and I'm just not sure if the MiM would be an equitable trade.

2. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I would try to play a Fender for free first, either borrow from a friend or try one at the local music store, I'm pretty sure you will like it because everybody likes Fenders :p

As for value, a good condition, fairly new MIM would be of comparable value, I would avoid anything before 2002 because of non standard pickups and woods.

3. JCheung

Cool, yea that's what I was figuring too. I have played a few Fenders at my local GC but they mostly all suffered from neglect and were in pretty poor set-up. I guess my ideal would be finding a local to trade basses with or a really well trusted Tber. Maybe I'll post a feeler on the classifieds. I don't suppose there's any other specifics on years aside from post 2002?

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass…it's like the methadone to an American-made Jazz's heroin. :D

Seriously though, check eBay, CraigsList and Guitar Center's used database to get an idea of what your Ray goes for. That should give you a baseline to start working around.

Oh, and I was also serious about the CV Jazz recommendation. It's so solid I won't even use the "…for the money I spent" suffix. It's just an all-around excellent bass. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Been there, done that. Bought one, sold it. Bought another, sold it. No longer there. But my overall '::meh:-ness' re: Fender is at least based on buying and plaing, not TB hype or bashing.

Just because your idols play Fenders doesn't mean you will necessarily sound like them. When I had a Rickenbacker, I sounded more like Stan Lee than Geddy Lee.

+1. In the past, I have traded basses I liked for basses I should have like because TB said I should like them, and most of the time I didnt like them.

:rollno:

:D

7. JCheung

Oh I personally love how I sound with Fenders, just amplified by frequenting various forums

8. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Whichever you end up with, you’ll miss something about the other one, and eventually want more yet.

I don’t know your finances, but if you like your Ray34, maybe save up for a Fender and have both. I presently have three favorite basses that I rotate, which appeases my GAS and satisfies my fickle nature.

9. JCheung

For now I will be only able to keep one of my two basses, and might donate my Korean traben array 4 so its the sbmm. I guess I'll post a feeler.