1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thanksgiving Eve, Good Gig Night?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Nov 15, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine

This won't be a long thread.

I can't remember the last time I did a Thanksgiving Eve Club show.

I am interested in opinions on Thanksgiving Eve gigs. Is it overall a good gig night or traditionally dead?

I know the venue can make a difference, for the sake if this discussion lets say it's one of the better local clubs.

Blue
  2. Alivefor5

Alivefor5

Could be good. Alot of working stiffs can party without thinking about an early morning.
    Every Thanksgiving I go to a far-away Wednesday jam because I just can't do it any other time of year.
  3. Russell L

Russell L

Well, I know it isn't a night I've ever played. But, I don't know what the crowds are like out there on that night. Never been out then, myownself. I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a regular night, though. Many folks are travelling at that time, and many others are at home preparing for the big day. But then again, it could be a surprise. Ain't but one way to find out...
  4. Waffles and Scotch

Waffles and Scotch

We played a Thanksgiving Eve gig last year and had a pretty good turnout. The bar owner said that's typically one of the busier nights of the year.
  5. bluewine

bluewine

Yeah, I was thinking there are kids home from college that might be out looking to party.

We played this club a couple of months ago on a Saturday night and we had what I considered more than a respectable turn out.

It's a road trip for us, so I'm not sure our local fans will travel an hour to see us.

Blue
  6. jaywa

jaywa

The band I was in before my current one had a standing Thanksgiving Eve gig at a little storefront bar for several years running and it was always packed-out. In fact I'm re-joining them as a fill-in to play the same gig this year.

I'd say if the weather is decent your odds of a good turnout are pretty good. A lot of it depends on how much the club has been publicizing your upcoming appearance because people traditionally aren't accustomed to going out for live music in the middle of the week.
  7. TC424

TC424

QUOTE "Yeah, I was thinking there are kids home from college that might be out looking to party."

+1 That Wednesday is tradtionally a big night for the younger crowd.
  8. bluewine

bluewine

Yes, this club does a decent job promoting bands. But Wednesday nights are not traditionally live music nights.

We did a Wednesday night in June, a regional act cancelled and we got called in. The place was dead, one of the worse gigs I had played in a long time.

You know what we say;

Payed rehearsal.

Blue
  9. jaywa

jaywa

Yeah we did one of those on a Thursday night one time. On top of which they charged a $5 cover, which most clubs here don't even do on weekends. We had about 8 people in a 300 capacity room. It was godawful.
  10. ajpaul59

ajpaul59

We always do a Thanksgiving Eve "Beatles Bash". Seems to be a big party night, always a great turnout.
  11. wango55

wango55

It's definitely one of the biggest drinking nights for college age kids, so theoretically it should be a good gig night, however location counts big time. We played a gig last year on Thanksgiving Eve, and had a decent turnout, but the problem was the bar we played was across the street from a more popular club (among that demographic) that had a live DJ. Their line was out the door and around the corner, and fortunately some of them must have gotten tired of waiting in the cold, and came into our place. So yes, it can be a good crowd, provided that it's the type of place that draws the college kids in normally.
  12. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

All of the guys in my band are from the same hometown, (we are spread out all over the state now) so we have a yearly Thanksgiving Eve gig back in our hometown and a friends tiny little bar (capacity maybe 75). It is always crazy packed with hometown friends, and we always have a great time. Thanksgiving morning tends to be rough...
  13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

statistically the biggest drinking night of the year... i'd say a good gig night.
  14. jaywa

jaywa

Also means there will be cops EVERYWHERE so keep yourself sober on the gig or if you're all going there in one vehicle, make sure one of the band members is your DD.

I got ticketed 2 years ago driving TO a St. Patty's gig, for being 3 mph over the speed limit. So I basically wound up playing that gig for free. The cops are ruthless on "amatuer nights" (of which Thanksgiving Eve is one), and you have no margin for error.
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Last chance to hit the bars before opening day.
  16. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

+1

I haven't gone out on Thanksgiving Eve in a long time but it was one of the bigger nights to party in Denver.
  17. rtslinger

rtslinger

Yes it has been for us here NJ we usually book a place that brings in a lot of home from college crowd who wants to party. I would consider it a great night!
  18. Richland123

Richland123

We always play Thanksgiving Eve and in these parts it has become one of the premier days along with New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and Halloween. We now have a Moose Lodge that has us locked into Thanksgiving Eve every year because it's the biggest crowd they get all year.
  19. bluewine

bluewine

Thanks

Very encouraging.

Blue
  20. Factor88

Factor88

Although I've never seen the stat I would conceed it is true. It isn't rocket science. The three days that the largest percentage of the populace won't have work or school are probably Christmas, Thankgiving, and New Years day (probably in that order).

Christmas Eve is obviously out for most, and New Year's Eve is a given, but Thanksgiving Eve can be overlooked. Some of my best bar gigs ever happened on Thankgiving Eve. Bascially all the 20-somethings that have been away at college or moved away for a career all come home to visit the folks, and see their old friends.