That Aguilar DB751 Tone!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jake Morris, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

I really dig the tone of the db751, and want to get as close as possible to it from a "micro" head. I currently have a tecamp puma 500, genz benz stm 600 (trying to sell it), a Bergantino hd112, and SWR Golight 410. Would the Aguilar tone hammer 500 be the closest thing? Or is there a preamp that would come close?

2. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    As an owner of both (TH 350/500 and DB751) I'd say, yes, for sure, the Tone Hammers pull off the DB tone quite well. Actually they will be even more flexible with the mid/drive controls. They will just lack the all out ball busting slam the 751 brings. The Tone Hammers, though, are no slouch in the volume dept.

3. caligula

caligula

+1

I play the DB750 and added a TH500 to my arsenal a few months ago.
    The DB sounds absolutely fantastic for almost everything I do, its weight of 25 tons or more, however, is quite annoying.
    I understand the 750 and 751 don't sound identical, but the TH500 comes very close to my DB750, is plenty loud and has an even more flexible EQ.

Another option would be the Tone Hammer pedal with a rather neutral sounding micro head. I've yet to try my Puma900 with the TH pedal, could be a great match.

4. xroads

xroads

That's what I do when I want the Aguilar flavor - TH pedal in the effects return of the Puma. Works great!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

I run my Tone Hammer pedal direct into a Carvin DCML 1000 power amp , sounds awesome. The Tone Hammer pedal is the best $230.00 bucks any bass player could spend.

7. Jake Morris

I'm going to try the th pedal through my puma tomorrow. I liked the sound of my upright through the th500. Would the pedal capture the same tone/vibe?

8. KJung

KJung

Yes. There are two 'major' differences between the pedal and the TH500/350 preamp:

1) The drive circuit is 'all or nothing' with the pedal, and variable with the amp. Since the drive strongly interacts with the gain, that isn't a huge deal.

2) The pedal has a master volume that impacts the DI. So, in the studio, you can crank the gain for grunty grind and still control the absolute level of the output to the board.

For most applications, they are interchangeable. Given the VERY hefty power section of the TH500, if you primarily play live, that is a very simple, all in one format. If you spend a lot of time in the studio, that 'DI' master can be handy in some cases (i.e., recording inputs without a pad control, etc.)

9. Jake Morris

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the th500 since I play live a lot.

10. Jake Morris

Went with the th500!

11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Wise decision... Hope it's all you were hoping for, and please give us your feedback when you can :)

12. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Good choice. I did the same just last week and played it at practice for the first time last Sunday. With 2 guitar players and loud drummer, I was at 12 o'clock being heard very well and cut through the mix no problem.

Enjoy! It is a sweet amp!

13. Jake Morris

Sold my SWR Golight 410 and was able to get the th500 and I love this amp. Real warm, but still defined and clear. Versatile too. Sounds a lot different than my other head, a tecamp puma 500, which is very hi fi, yet I can get close with the Aguilar and a hi fi preamp. My only cab at moment is a Bergantino hd112, but I'm going to sell my genz Benz streamliner to help pay for a berg cn112 to stack on top of the hd112. Then, I will be completely satisfied withy rig!