1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

That awkward moment......

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by D1on, Dec 11, 2012.

1. D1on

D1on

when the band you left 3 months ago and asked them to change the name of the band if they were going to continue refuses to do so and interested a producer at our final show. Well said producer just sent me the links for the first mix of a song I wrote to the old band pages which I own.

LOL

2. Disappear

Disappear

You going to stand for that?

3. D1on

D1on

I've already let the producer know

and sent a messege to the guitar player that we need to talk royalties.

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Might need to lawyer up.

Or just wait until it's a huge international hit, then sue.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. D1on

D1on

Thought about that but I'm trying to be above board.

7. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Once you write a song, it's yours. Hopefully you have some scratch recordings that are time stamped, but you also have witnesses to a live performance that you were in so they can't say that it was written post your departure. If you wrote the words and music, good for you, even better.

Look for recordings, emails in which the song was discussed, etc. Keep them close. Remember, 100% of 0 doesn't pay for a taco, so let them market your song. Just my vote.

8. thomashawk

thomashawk

The song is yours - ask a lawyer. The name is the band's - ask Roger Waters.

9. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Good advice. Let 'em play the songs, but keep any notes, recordings or anything that indicate you wrote the songs. Let them make money for you on your songs! Sit back and collect royalty checks from your beach cabana in Rio De Janiero!

10. D1on

D1on

Yup all filed at the library of congress and BMI.

The real irony is when I left I tried to get them to register with BMI or ascap so I could do the right thing and credit them as well.

The crazy part is the song is written around the bassline, without it the song falls apart.

Any way they posted a video so I sent the BMI work# to the site. ;)

11. Cycho

Cycho

Don't sue until there are damages to be assessed. Otherwise you are just complaining.

12. D1on

D1on

Not planning on suing.

I'm just putting them on notice that I'll be enforcing my interests before they enter into any kind of agreement. i.e. "no you are not authorized to assign my rights."

13. Vakmere

Vakmere