That Nick Jameson (Foghat) Sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BigEarl, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

I've been searching for "my" sound for years, all kinds of gear all kinds of configurations. Sitting in the car listening to Slow Ride from Foghat, I think that sound Nick Jameson got on that album and that particular song is my holy grail!

Does anyone know what he was using, bass and amps, during the short period he was in the band? I'm sure he was probably going straight in to the board on the recordings (with a few high-end pre's and compressors at hand) but what was he using onstage?

If I had that sound every night, the Slow Ride sound, I would NEVER need anything else!

(...I think)

Thanks!

2. tlr1293

tlr1293 Supporting Member

very interested myself

3. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

very cool sound! i agree!! sometimes, you can learn a lot about the sound by searching live pictures of the band.....you might see his rig!! keep looking....you will find something!!

4. ack

ack Supporting Member

Holy crap - all these years I thought that was Tony Stevens.
    I'm a little wiser today, thanks to you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I prefer Craig MacGregor's tone and style much better. I also prefer their live music over their studio work. The studio albums sound sterile, over processed and lacking of energy. Foghat Live is a great album. It's too bad it only had 6 songs.

7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I saw Foghat live in 1976 and Craig MacGregor was playing with them. He used a Jazz bass through a couple of SVTs, heads and cabs. It was a really good show too.

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    He has had a blue 65 Jazz for over 40 years. I have asked him several times if he would sell it to me. He has always refused. He still has it but his main stage bass is now a blue Landing that he had made about a year ago. He has told me that it is by far the best playing and sounding bass he has ever owned. He still won't sell the 65 Fender though. Here is a picture with the Landing.

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The fact that I saw him play a jazz is something I actually DO remember from that show and it was not the only time he has played one : http://www.foghat.net/craig/

10. ronlitz

ronlitz Supporting Member

Big Earl - I agree with you, that bass tone on "Slow Ride" is something special. Even the other songs on that album don't have the tone that song has. I'd love to know how they did that. It would be great if Nick Jameson could tell us what he knows about how that track was recorded.

11. pfox14

pfox14

Definitely one of the first white rock bass players to incorporate slap techniques into his playing.

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    When I saw Foghat they were using all Orange gear. A lot of it, in an outdoor amphitheater. Tony Stevens was playing a P bass. This would have been 71-72. Too early, but they had the sound already.

13. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

About 6 months late, but the answer is in this interview

... it was a jazz. Very interesting guy, worth checking out the other parts of the interview too.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I played along with that album about 1000 times in high school, and I at the time I found that I could get *exactly* that tone. What did I play? '77 J bass with flats.

He was great - and the band was (in my opinion) never as good once he was replaced.

15. BigEarl

BigEarl

BigBeatNut - I waited 30+ years, so 6 months is easy, LOL! Anyway, between that video and SanDiegoHarry's reply, I guess I'm going to have to go out and get a J (been a P man all my life.)

Just on a side note about the flats on a J, does anyone else have experience with that? And what brand of flats did/do you use?