That ratteling bass sound, confusion.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niaboc67, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Niaboc67

Niaboc67

I've always wonder about this. I have been in bands for years, play with many bassists, played myself as well. I am mainly a guitarist but i love bass. One thing i've always been puzzled by is this certain type of ratteling sound i hear from bass. I dont know if its because people are sliding or because it's just because the thick strings are vibrating against the neck wood that it causes this sound. I've heard this on cheaper basses a lot more so than on higher ups. Yet when i listen to the radio say for instance Culture Clubs "do you really want to hurt me" (random i know) that bass line is just what i like to call "Bass Tones/Frequencies" it's not rattling strings it engulfs you, its just low tones without all the buzzing. Here is an example of what i am talking about. !

You can really hear the rattling/buzzing at around 1:22 and at other parts of the video.

So what's up with all this? Is that done on purpose, and how does one stop getting a rattling sound and get more of just low bass tones?

Thank you!!
  2. Niaboc67

Niaboc67

Nobody can answer this?
  3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    If you don't want fret buzz, for whatever reason, you can combat it with setup and technique.

The reason you probably hear it more on cheap basses is because they are not setup, setup improperly, have unlevel frets or a twisted neck. Or a combination of the above.

You can lessen or remove fret buzz through technique also. He's only getting buzz when he digs in, which is really common. You can guess how to avoid it ;) I complained once about string noise and buzz to some other bassists and the advice I got was turn up the gain until it's too loud then figure out how to play quieter :)
  5. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Yes super low action + hitting the string hard... Alot of people hate that sound actually... But I love it. I always associate that sound with flea playing.
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

It's called 'slap bass.' It's a deliberate technique.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

That video has an alltogether weak bass tone IMO, it's not hard to get a fat bass tone with a little bit of buzz and grind on top.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Turn down the tone knob, get some flats, and you'll never hear that sound out of your bass again. Or is it other people's basses you're talking about?
  9. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

I happen to dig the fret buzz, not too much tho