That tone that has been eluding me :(

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dingmel, Feb 21, 2014.

1. dingmel

dingmel

Hi there fellow bassists and string gurus.

Firstly, listen to the tone of the bass from this clip :

I have a TRB1006, which is a 6 string, alder body, with rosewood fretboard, i had defretted and refinished, so the board has a laquered coating. First attempt at getting this kind of tone was with nickel d'addario roundwounds. then with rotosound steels. I'm thinking of going flats or halfs, but having never tried them, how close would they get me to this kind of tone?

iinm is the bassist favoring the bridge pickup and playing in between pickups?

Thanks!

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    sounds like bridge pickup and playing close to the bridge, too.
    Stringwise, I guess that are steel rounds. Maybe preassurewounds (Rotosound 55Solos are awesome btw). Sounds like a Jazzbass to me btw
    Very beefy sound - not my cup of tea but it sounds not extremely special to me. Should be possible to get there.
    What amp are you using? regarding the style of music, I would expect something like Glockenklang or EBS behind this bass player. Extreme clean, extreme fat

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

It's definitely bridge pickup favored tone, to me it sounds like a bass with a fat bridge humbucker or a Jazz with the bridge pickup favored and a good bass boost/treble rolloff. It's definitely a woody sound, I'd go with some dark nickel roundwounds or some brighter flats and play the crap out of them until they lose their metallic-ness. Compression would help too.

I give lessons to a friend with a fretless 60s style Squier Jazz that gets a very similar sound with the bridge pickup dominating.

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

Its similar to my Ibanez SR300 with chromes, actually. A little "mellower", which could be down to being fretless.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Never thought of trying different EQ instead of wasting money on strings ?

7. dingmel

dingmel

I tried Eq'ing but no luck lol. At the moment, i'm running them through Yamaha Buckers, on a Bartolini Preamp. No luck getting there, thats why i was wondering if it was a string difference! Lol.