1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

That's it were no longer needed, bass players are done.*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Veldar, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veldar

Veldar

*bit of an exaggeration

[​IMG]

See this Ibanez the company who brought us the 7 and 8 string guitars has decided to kill us off one and for all.*

but seriously from low to high C# F# B E A D G B E that's lower than a normal bass, but as bassists we can't tune more than an octave down other wise it starts to get unaudible to the human ear.

Dam Djent kids and there down tuned music.:mad:

2. Mykk

Mykk

Well, I suppose they wouldn't build it if there wasn't a market for it. I don't see it "replacing" or making bass players extinct. I just wonder what kind of guitar amp could handle the range and still sound good at both ends of the spectrum.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Ibanez didn't bring the world the first 7 or 8 string... Not even be first 9
    or 10 string guitars.

Don't cry about it on the Internet just because you don't like it.

4. Beano_z

Beano_z

How do you do full barre chords on that thing?!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

Fractal processors and powered speakers, that's what.

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
  8. Veldar

Veldar

I wasn't beaning serious. :lol:

and black knuckle pickups.

9. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

and then there is this...

10. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Forearm.

11. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I don't see it out selling a P bass any time soon. That thing is fun to point at though.

12. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Holy crap. The only way I could play that thing is with mutes and mallets, or maybe like a peenanner!

13. Veldar

Veldar

:eek: So um, uh ?....... how much?

14. toddoutloud

toddoutloud

They tune down the top string a whole step and play with one finger. Kids these days.....(facepalm)......

15. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

HEY! I resent that! ;)

I love how everybody acts like this is the end of all music... But you hit a good note with that djent comment: this [DEL]bass[/DEL] EDIT: guitar is made for a specific market of people who accept the outrageous and new. The metal scene where I'm from uses 6-8 string guitars depending, and thus far (two weeks in) I have only received one "record a video of you playing a song that uses every string!" comment in regards to my 11 string bass.

Not to bash on those content with how things are, etc. but we aren't asking that you take this to your next country or classic rock gig at the bar this Saturday. Hell, we aren't even asking for you to touch it!

When you play rock, you'll probably have an SG or Les Paul and a J-bass. In country, you'll have some sort of strat, tele, or semi-acoustic and a p-bass. In Djent, you have 7-9 string guitars and a bassist who's willing to try to play along with whatever hes got, and a general mindset of "lower is heavier, and more strings is more metal" Not that I agree with this idea necessarily, but it's honestly what I've gotten from past members.
    Just my 2 cents... /rant

16. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

That Stambaugh looks like a raft.

17. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I challenge you. Try playing any technical metal, "djent", deathcore, etc. fingerstyle "with one finger." Please.

Once you do that for a 30 minute set complete with adequate stage presence in a room potentially hotter than it is outside in Texas during the month of June or July, or better yet, outside at 4 pm with no sunshield of any sort, come back and tell me how that worked for you.

Actually, it's my new surfboard ;)

18. Veldar

Veldar

Sorry to offend but, this thread was a joke really and I just wanted to show people the ibanez RG9, I've been listening to some 'Djent' for the last month or so and most of the local scean is starting to mash it with their really slow metalcore, I like most of it chimp spanner, animals as leaders etc.

And I'm jealous I wish I had a 11 string bass, and do a video of marry had a little lamb but change which string your playing the note on that'll show the haters.

19. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Exceedingly dramatic thread introduction. (Ok, I went back then noticed "bit of an exaggeration".)

The C# in the Ibanez 9-string guitar is an octave higher than Jauqo III-X's. Don't shed a tear, bass still has the lowest ranges covered.

20. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Oh no, not offended! I was saying you hit the nail on the head that this is for a specific market and its silly for one to get their jimmies rustled over a product that does not concern them :)

My last band sounds the same way as your scene. We used to be really generic crappy metal stuffz, then we rewrote everything and blended in that bouncy "djenty" style, along with fast minor-third scales that always made me cry...

And that's what I'm planning on doing...something ridiculously simple to show the petty nature of his demand. :smug:

21. toddoutloud

toddoutloud

I don't really care to play "Djent" music- sounds like "noise" to me. Although if I put my classical training to use on a 7-8 string guitar, and gave about a month or so of dedicated practice 3-4 hours a day, I could do it. However, I don't give 2 poops about that stuff. I play bass- real bass.

I'm used to playing outdoors at the many clubs on Pensacola Beach in 100+ degree humid heat, 4-5 days a week from March-September and being drenched in sweat before I even take the stage for a 4-set gig. I've been doing it for years. I grew up in New Orleans; I do sticky heat very well.

But this isn't a pissing contest, I do what I do well and guys who want to play their 37-string whatevers can do what they want to their heart's content. I just don't dig it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.