The 1975 - The City

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nickhaberer, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Nickhaberer

Nickhaberer

So I have a school project where we have to lift any commercially released song. I chose The City by The 1975

Im having some issues deciphering the bass sound. In the recording it sounds like its pulsing..
    When I watch him play it live he's only picking the whole notes (and you can kind of hear the pumping).

Now I don't need exact pedals to do this because im not playing it live. it will be recorded so theres probably a few routes I can take...

Big Muff with tremolo? Side-chain to the kick?

let me know your ideas!

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Sounds like synth and sampling to me.

There may be no real bass guitar in there at all.

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

If I had to reproduce this sound with my gear, I would use my Source Audio MWBD with the expression pedal set to control the distortion mix. I would handle the pulsing sound with the expression pedal in a manner similar to a dub step wobble. I would make sure the EQ had a lot of midrange to really make the distortion bite. It also needs an octaver to keep the bottom end nice and thick. It won't be exact, but it will be in the ballpark. Just my opinion.

4. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

They play The City live at about 3:20 but I can't hear anything other than a nice distortion (could be a MWBD...).

I can't find it off the top of my head but I think somewhere in this set he does an expression-pedal-pumping-distortion thing. Could just be a volume boost though

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

It's the first track. Watch his foot for Head. Cars. Bending.

I think it's an envelope pedal with the expression set to a mid freq boost… or maybe just volume

You could apply something similar to get The City sound