The 56 cent Gibson SG Bass Bridge Fix

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by travhop42, Mar 14, 2014.

1. travhop42

travhop42

I purchased 4ea 1/4"-20 nylon lock nuts for 14 cents each. Slide them on the strings and it eliminates the inherit problem with Gibson bridge by bringing strings about 3/8" further back. This will put the windings behind the saddle where they belong. Works perfect. Stays in tune and sounds better with a little more sustain.

Attached Files:

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Perfect! Cheap and effective.

3. mormoyboy

mormoyboy

I used to use ball ends (sometimes two) from a previous set of strings - same idea, but the nylon probably eliminates any potential metal-to-metal noise. Neat!

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i remain skeptical of any sustain change, but that is indeed a good way to keep the reinforcing wraps off the saddles.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. travhop42

travhop42

I admit the sustain difference is suttle at best. I still believe it plays and sounds better than it did. Having the windings sitting on the saddles could not be good. The intonation had to be adjusted after I did this so that tells me the strings are setting lower in the saddles. I still wonder why Gibson does not correct this. I was planning on buying an aftermarket bridge but now it is not necessary.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I've seen variations on this including computer stand-offs (?) and various diameter / length cylindrical spacers in the parts drawer at Lowes's. The practice is frequently applied in the mis-assumption that it changes string tension to a discernible degree but is more appropriate when shifting string windings...as you've demonstrated!

Riis

8. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Great idea and looks like it solved the problem.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Excellent...I've been doing that with Epiphone 3 saddle bridges for quite a while, it works great but I've never noticed any real tonal or sustain changes. I've also used flanged nylon nuts and brass knurled nuts. Somebody used to make a bar to accomplish the same thing and sold it on ebay for a while.

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i'll try it on the flying v when i need new strings

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Do we get to debate the acoustic qualities of various types of nylon washers now? And their sustain, "tone" and other characteristics?

I hope not. Nice trick, looks very effective.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Not until there's a BadAss version :) neat ideal thanks for sharing it.