1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

The 56 cent Gibson SG Bass Bridge Fix

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by travhop42, Mar 14, 2014.

1. travhop42

travhop42

Dec 21, 2010
    Texas
    I purchased 4ea 1/4"-20 nylon lock nuts for 14 cents each. Slide them on the strings and it eliminates the inherit problem with Gibson bridge by bringing strings about 3/8" further back. This will put the windings behind the saddle where they belong. Works perfect. Stays in tune and sounds better with a little more sustain.

Attached Files:

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Manitoba, Canada
    Perfect! Cheap and effective.

3. Sponsored by:

4. mormoyboy

mormoyboy

Oct 9, 2012
    NWOhio
    I used to use ball ends (sometimes two) from a previous set of strings - same idea, but the nylon probably eliminates any potential metal-to-metal noise. Neat!

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2009
    i remain skeptical of any sustain change, but that is indeed a good way to keep the reinforcing wraps off the saddles.

6. travhop42

travhop42

Dec 21, 2010
    Texas
    I admit the sustain difference is suttle at best. I still believe it plays and sounds better than it did. Having the windings sitting on the saddles could not be good. The intonation had to be adjusted after I did this so that tells me the strings are setting lower in the saddles. I still wonder why Gibson does not correct this. I was planning on buying an aftermarket bridge but now it is not necessary.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've seen variations on this including computer stand-offs (?) and various diameter / length cylindrical spacers in the parts drawer at Lowes's. The practice is frequently applied in the mis-assumption that it changes string tension to a discernible degree but is more appropriate when shifting string windings...as you've demonstrated!

Riis

8. ASATMAN

ASATMAN

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Great idea and looks like it solved the problem.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Excellent...I've been doing that with Epiphone 3 saddle bridges for quite a while, it works great but I've never noticed any real tonal or sustain changes. I've also used flanged nylon nuts and brass knurled nuts. Somebody used to make a bar to accomplish the same thing and sold it on ebay for a while.

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'll try it on the flying v when i need new strings

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Do we get to debate the acoustic qualities of various types of nylon washers now? And their sustain, "tone" and other characteristics?

I hope not. Nice trick, looks very effective.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Not until there's a BadAss version :) neat ideal thanks for sharing it.