The absolute cream of the "lawsuit" basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KF2B, Feb 3, 2013.

1. KF2B

KF2B

Greetings,

I have a liking towards all things vintage and given that I´m not rich I´d rather spend on quality instead of brand names...

So lets hear it - in your opinion what would you say are the absolute best of best what comes to vintage Japanese "lawsuit" era basses? - If possible please point to a particular model or models instead of blanket approach as just "Aria".

Thanks,

J.
  2. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

One I had in the late 70's that was outstanding is a Aria Pro II Primary Bass jazz copy that was a clone of its 70's Fender contemporary except better built. The other was a Tokai Jazz Sound jazz bass copy I had in the mid 80's that was as good as any jazz I've ever owned.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Tokai Fen-Clones... "Hard puncher?"
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

yamaha pulser
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Van Nuys Schecters (which were mace in the US) were probably the best of the bunch. Some of the Tokai stuff was very good.
  7. mazareth

mazareth

A former bandmate owns an Electra P-Bass copy. I think the model name was the Phoenix.

His looks just like this:

[​IMG]

Not a clone from the appearance, but it sounds just like P-Bass.
  8. millsbass5

millsbass5

People just have nooo idea how good the old, early Schecter Basses are. Great, great basses.
  9. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan

Ibanez Challenger P Bass
  10. Im_telling_tim

Im_telling_tim

Just be patient and the right brand name bass will find you.
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Fernandes "Alembic Series I" has to be the cream of all lawsuit basses. They copied every aspect of it. I think I read the Fernandes company was founded by ex Alembic employees.
  12. TC2112

TC2112

Late 70's / very early 80's FujiGen Greco basses are the bomb. This is the company Fender went to to make their Japanese line, and we all know how good early Fender Japan was.

Anything made before mid 81 was before FujiGen got CNC machines, so they actually were hand crafted and wonderful instruments. I have a 77 Greco Mercury and an 81 Greco Spacy Sound. The Mercury is a little better quality instrument, but both are better than anything made by Fender during the same era.

[​IMG]