The Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Look, I know this issue has been beaten into the ground, but I like to play it safe.

I just got the deal of a lifetime to pick up a 72 Ampeg V4B with mods for master volume and distortion, plus 70's Ampeg 8x10s all for $1000. What concerns me is if 125 watts is enough for a touring metal bassist.

Also, if any of you have demos of you playing them, I will worship the ground you walk on.

Thanks,

AC

2. Bongokid

Bongokid

Not enough for Metal, in my opinion.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have had tons of gear over the past 40 years. Hiwatts, Marshalls, SoundCitys, Sunn, Ampegs (SVTs, V4Bs, B25Bs) etc etc etc. At the moment I have about 8 different heads and 14-15 cabinets. The V4B is a great sounding amp I like it better than the SVT tone wise but I think for your application you are going to find the V4B underpowered.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

i believe that the V4B is 100W. As to your question, IMO, no it would not be enough.

Edit: Unless you have a huge PA at every gig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Even with the 8x10s? What if I run the pre into a 450w SS power section?

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

It was more than enough for me. I think my current original music band, I might be struggling (I'm now using an SVT) but really with that kind of music a little distortion would be a good thing.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

No point using the V4B at all, if you don't use the power section. Might as well just use the other head.

9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    I think alot of the guys here are saying "NO" because they expect CLEAN headroom at the volume you will need. If you like grit/Overdrive then "YES". I used a V4B with 2 ampeg 410s or with a fender 610 and it was PLENTY loud for a stoner rock/ doom band with a Sunn Model T and and Marshall crankin'. There were times I wanted a hair more cleanishness before it hit the dirt, but it was loud enough... YMMV depending on the tone you and your bandmates are all riding out.

you will have the BEST TONE YOUVE EVER HAD though.

10. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Lol, people always misread my posts.

IT HAS A MOD FOR MASTER VOLUME lol

Doom metal is a great reference, those guys LOVE to crank the amps

11. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Why would I want a new head? I get this AND the Vintage 8x10's for $1000, whereas an Ampeg SVT 4 PRO would cost the same amount

12. snowblinder

snowblinder

I think he was saying that, if you are running the V-4B's preamp into another 450 watt amp, then you aren't getting any of the V-4B's tone from pushing the output section....which is one of the reasons why most people love these amps.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I loved my 73 V4B/810 rig when I had it. But I always mic'ed it and let the PA do the dirty work. If you're looking to do it with stage volume, I'd throw an SVT on top of an 810e instead. Those old cabs sound superb but don't take a super amount of power. They'll handle a V4B cranked pretty hard, but not an SVT.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    I don't think that mod will give you more clean headroom before breakup. V4b breakup is a result mostly of power tube saturation. what I would guess the mod will do is allow you to get some overdrive tones at lower volumes by letting you crank the gain but turn the master down... but it probably won't let you add any extra volume that the amp wouldn't normally have.

15. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I'd love to use the $1000 I have saved on an SVT, but I'm sick of these embarrassing 2x10's....and sound guys too

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

One thread per topic, but why not, (putting 2+2 together from both threads), just look for a BIG cab to use with your current amp. (?) This would solve your problem, without becoming overly complicated.

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with the 2x10 format. It's trying to get a 2x10 loud enough for a full band situation is where I suspect your problems lie. One is simply not enough to play a loud gig with.

I use the 2x10, one to rehearse with, a pair to gig with and four if the occasion requires them. That's with up to 1500W driving them.

18. Sartori

Sartori

As stated in the other thread, if you like overdrive, a V4B into two 8x10 cabs would be an awesome rig for metal. If you like clean, then no.

My doom metal band plays really, really, really loud. My head is only 180 watts. But I play through a big, loud 2x15 cab. And my sound in that band is always fairly overdriven, except in clean sections of songs. Clean headroom? No, none. Loudness? Oh yes. Tons.

19. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Back in the eighties , I used a V-4 with a 2-15 and/or an 8-10 for metal and it worked fine.

20. wmheilma

wmheilma

For a grand? Buy 'em!!!!

21. lowend1

lowend1

What kind of venues are you playing, and with what kind of PA support?