1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Aristocrats - Mike Lull Special!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Sep 2, 2011.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Have you guys heard of this amazing new power trio? The Aristocrats. It's Guthrie Govan on guitar, Bryan Beller on bass & Marco Minnemann on drums.

I bought a case of their new eponymous CDs planning to throw one in with every Suhr guitar we ship since GG is such a heavy Suhr endorser. Lo and behold, it turns out Bryan Beller is a big-time Mike Lull fanatic, too.

So while supplies last (which should be a good long while), I'll be tossing in a free "Aristocrats" CD with every Mike Lull bass purchase from Rocket Music! Come and get 'em! :rollno::D:D:D

Or if you just want to grab a copy of the CD, I've got 'em. Call it $16 plus shipping...

2. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Nice, Greg! Those guys are great. I love Bryan Beller's playing. If these guys only had some chops, this CD would be something. :D :D

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

That's a pretty awesome thing to do.

4. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Happy to say I have spoken and chatted with Bryan and he is a fantastic guy. Real down to earth and no slouch on the bass!

Roscoe, Lull, Shur, Rocket Music- Just Peas and Carrots, Jenny!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VroomVroom

Total FWIW, but I recommend this one. Trio fests like this can be an acquired taste, and even at their best, they're like ice cream. A big bowl is nice every now and then, but a steady diet will make you sick. :) This one certainly has chops and all the "because I can" you'd ever want, but there are some rich compositions and some really nice ensemble moments. Beller's playing is fantastic, his tone is lick-your-chops awesome, and he is undeniably the glue that keeps things together. I confess to not being a big Minnemann fan - he's like the next-gen Weckl to my ears. Insane chops, beautifully tuned drums, and a remarkable unwillingness to hold a groove for longer than two seconds before the next indulgence. However, all of that reinforces just how strong Beller is in the bass chair. The other big takeaway for me is this Govan cat...he's nuts. Beyond bits and pieces, this recording is my first opportunity to really enjoy his playing. Dashes of Satriani, Henderson, Stern, Scofield, but a huge individual voice...wow.

Back to your regularly scheduled programmimg...

7. Sbociol

Sbociol

Very nice tunes, I'll definitely buy their cd when it comes out in a tenday.

8. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Boy, you totally read my mind on the drummer there, Jerry. Given all the craziness that he and GG bring to the project, I think Beller does a really nice job of laying back and keeping it together. He has some spots where he cuts loose, but for the most part he's grooving in spite of the frenetic drumming. And some of the bass tones he gets gave me chills - I'd get a serious case of I-WANT-THAT-TONE-itous.

9. mstott25

mstott25

Six String Theory

Just in case you guys haven't seen this before, this is how I first stumbled upon Guthrie Govan, this is some interesting commentary from Lee Ritenour. The section discussing Guthrie begins at about the 5:00 minute mark (Vinnie Colaiuto and Tal Wilkenfeld also make appearances)

10. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...they're playin' in Raleigh on the 24th...road trip?

:ninja:

11. rocnopal

rocnopal

I'm definitely going to see the band when they come to NYC. I saw Bryan Beller a few years ago with Mike Keneally and loved it.
    Its a Wed. night and on the early side at this really cool room call Hiro Ballroom. This whole place is covered in Japanese lanterns and unique orient decor. HIRO at The Maritime Hotel • NEW YORK NY

12. rocnopal

rocnopal

13. VroomVroom

Usually demo videos get old after a couple of minutes, but this one...

Guthrie Govan - Suhr Demo 2011 - YouTube

Must be the accent. :D Seriously - this guy is a freak. His command of the instrument is incredibly inspiring.

14. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
  15. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

A friend of mine showed me these guys on youtube and I'm blown away. I was wondering what kind of basses he played. Mike lull has a sick ass artist playing his stuff.

16. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Is this retroactive? Bought a kick A lull from you last year:) BTW, is that lull modern still available. Thought a Tber bought it but I see it on your eBay store still.

17. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Hey, Cory. Cool! Thanks for catching that eBay listing. We have to manually unlist those when we sell stuff, and we only bat about 95% on that... we sometimes get so excited when we sell an item that we lose our minds! :help::D

I'll drop an Aristocrats CD in the mail to ya on Monday! Thanks!

18. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

You da man!!

19. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Greg- Got it and it is awesome. Thanks!!!!!!!!!