The art of good practice.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rev J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Rev J

Rev J

I realize this is a music forum not a skateboarding forum but I saw this video the other day and found it very informational and inspirational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vb9OonoP8

He's talking to computer programmers about what skaters do. But I also found the last 2 minutes of the lecture about how much time spent practicing and how when we get something almost nailed we can easily side track ourselves and hinder our progress. I also thought a lot of the things he talks about in this lecture can easily be applied to the way we practice and play music.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. Boris62

Boris62

Cool video. Mastery is mastery. The attention to detail required is vast. There's always something to be learned from a master.

3. Rev J

Rev J

I also see a lot of similarities between skateboarding and playing bass. When he talks about changing where he is focusing during a trick is to me like when you are playing a line and you are going to throw in a lick and you think about where to shift or where to put in string skips. Or you start thinking about aiming for chord toes while coming up with a bass line.

C/S,
    Rev J