1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Association Windy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

This video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsY8l0Jg3lY&feature=kp

The guy up front with the singer, I think he is Hawaiian? Anyway I have seen him at my place of employment a few times and had no idea he was a recording star.

He is playing a retirement gig, or played one tonight and it was in the paper and someone put it in the break room telling who he was and the association with my work place.

Just pretty cool is all.
  2. JimK

JimK

Larry Ramos, right?
    He may have been born in Hawaii...his family (I think) is Asian.

He joined The Association after Jules Alexander left; Ramos was previouly with the New Christy Minstrels.
    I have recently bought the early albums by The Association (including the live one); I also just bought a Xmas album by The NCM...each cd has some nice bio info in the liner notes/booklets.
    BTW, on a couple of those albums...it is studio guys galore (Jerry Scheff on bass for "Along Comes Mary"?). The live album has the band playing; the vocals are very, very good...the instruments are a bit more raw vs. the studio guys.
    Cool '60s Pop band, IMO.

Loved how "Windy" was used in a Breaking Bad intro...even funnier 'cause I remembered the original "official video" when it aired on newtork TV in the '60s.
  3. dalkowski

dalkowski

Very cool. That was a golden age.
  4. ZenG

ZenG

One time back in the day there was a supper club called the C'est Si Bon right behind the Pagoda Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii...

The Association was playing there......

When they did "Windy" and "Along Comes Mary" it was absolutely stunning.....

Since it was a supper club, there weren't huge crowds and the stage wasn't all that far away. But they cranked it and the place rocked....

One of the best gigs I ever went to in my life.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    An oldies station I used to listen to played "Windy" in regular rotation; one morning the DJ followed it by saying "most people don't realize this, but the members of the Association later went on to form a rock band named KISS."

:eek:

I believed him, and repeated it as truth many times. :) Then the internet came along, and I learned the DJ was just pulling his listeners' legs.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic

Here's the backing track,
  7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Yes Larry is his name. Not sure if I will see him again and if I do won't know what to say to him.
  8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Who played bass on the Grass Roots "Midnight Confessions"? Was it Joe Osborn or Carol Kaye? Joe is one of my favorite players.
  9. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

A couple of summers back, we listened to Association from our front lawn, as we live walking distance to local Ampitheater.

I wanted to buy tickets but most of these bands are what is left over from the original..I have seen: 2/3 Dog Night..One original member left : A R S. NO originals left: Blood Sweat and Tears.. I just couldn't stand to watch remnants of Asssociation..still whatever configuration was good.. crowd noise was thunderous.
  10. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

OH..SAME VENUE.. Bruce Kulick took Farner's place when we saw 2/3 Grand Funk! Actually a pleasant surprise..