1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The basic flaw in the p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The basic flaw in the p-bass

Quote from John Entwistle ... "Once you turn up the treble on a Precision, the bottom drops out In big arenas, I wasn't getting enough bottom end from the P-Basses when I had the treble all the way up."

I re-discovered this last weekend ... I went to an outdoor party and our band played and some others as well. In my band one of the guitar players is also a bass player. I brought 3 basses and he brought a guitar and a bass. So at the end I plug in his p-bass with flats. He has always bragged about the low end from this bass. So I plug it into my Rig. An Ampeg with 2 2x10 cabs and a line out into the PA, and I turn up both knobs and to my surprise the was very little low end, just a lot of midrange plunky noise and clicks and fret buzz.

The basses that I had were a 5 string Rickenbacker a 5 string jazz with a stingray pickup in the bridge and a frankensteined 2 pickup SG bass also with 5 strings. All 3 of these basses had more bottom than the Fender p-bass with flats.

EDIT

I started this thread to discuss the p-bass and the nature of the tone control on this bass. At first a lot people seemed threatened and seemed to think that I hate p-basses. I like the p-bass and the jazz bass, and many other basses. The thread has developed into a good discussion of what happens to the frequency responses of the p-bass as you change settings on the tone control. The p-bass is more of a mid ranged intstrument. As you roll off the tione control it produces a lot of low mids which people percieve as low end, when the tone control is opened up it produces a lot of high mids which is percieved as high end. That is why Entwistle made the statement quoted above. I like to have treble, bass, and mids in my bass tone when playing. Also my rig and my pedal board are set up to add a lot of mids to my bass tone as I play.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

hmmm...I wonder if it is a bass-to-bass issue...cause my 72 P has plenty of bottom end. It also might be an amp thing? I have heard other P's that do lose some bottom end, but mone doesn't.

It has all original pups/electronics minus the volume pot wiring, and ground wire.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Never been a problem with my '63 P in the 46 years I have owned it.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

turn the knobs on your amp

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. paganjack

paganjack

what? I have never heard this. I think you just get a bass boost when you roll the tone all the way down...which I guess is kind of looking at the same coin from the other side. Still, that's crazy talk. I've never found my p-bass to be lacking in booty.

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm Supporting Member

That sounds like a problem with that bass or your amp EQ. P Bass usually have a thundering low end. That sounds like a bad pickup, bad electronics, or just a bad bass overall.

8. Nagrom

Nagrom

My P cuts through better when I roll off the tone

9. Nobody

Nobody

Oh good another "P basses aren't perfect." / "YOUR WRONG P BASSES ARE PERFECT! YOU MAKE ME CRY WITH YOUR LIES! LEO GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! FLATS! SUNBURST! TORT! PRE-CBS! IT'S SQUIER NOT SQUIRE! EVERY SONG EVER RECORDED WAS DONE WITH A P BASS!" thread.

10. Robdrone

Robdrone

If it sounds bad with the treble knob turned up all the way, don't turn it up all the way. I never understood why people expect completely different basses to react the same to your amp settings and the same tone knob settings.

I mean the tone knobs are for shaping, not just cranking them up. You don't walk up to a graphic equalizer and immediately slide all the faders straight to the top do you?

11. taurus1

taurus1

yeah P's are clunky, clicky, buzzy junk, with no bottom end.

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Thats why the P/J was invented Ric5!

Youve BUILT enough of them
    To know that instead of the two band EQ, the VVT with the bridge J is the solution for this issue.

Its not the pickup thats at fault, IMO, its the volume tone combo- its insufficient which has always been my only issue with traditional P basses.

13. hover

hover Banned

Whole lotta silly in this thread, gotta say.

14. 3506string

3506string

It's all perception. It's unlikely that the tone knob is affecting the low end at all. If your hearing more upper mids and highs it may seem as if your bottom end gone.

15. brad houser

brad houser

plenty of low end from my P. probably a bad setup if someone's P lacks booty. those pickups ARE adjustable.

16. brad houser

brad houser

exactly. the tone knob takes away treble/ mids. it cannot add anything. low end content stays the same.

17. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

This made me laugh.

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    This^^^^.

19. kilgoja

kilgoja

who turns the treble all the way up on their bass anyways? i sure don't.

i leave the tone knob a hair more than halfway. all the way up is too bright and all the way down is too muddy.

i leave the treble flat on my amp and still have plenty of highs. i play with a pick though not my fingers. you don't really want highs on a bass. that just gets string noise and such. what you are after are high-mids. that is what cuts through the mix so to speak. you need the low end to drive the music and the high mids to cut through and give definition to what you are playing.

the problem with the p-bass is the lack of growl. it's not a bad thing. it fits certain music very well. it just comes down to what you prefer. i prefer the growl you get from a jazz bass or a stingray.

20. soflbass

soflbass

Whenever switching from a P to J bass, I have to adjust the eq on my amp. Never have I heard anybody complain about low end on a P bass. I have heard others bash the P for lack of highs. Bad pickups or electronics are the only reasons I can think of causing this type of issue.

21. bassteban

bassteban

At some point I fear all P threads may in effect qualify as *religious* due to the feelings imevitably generated...:D