The Bass amp bar just got raised a lot higher: Diffusion Audio Quiver Q505A

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by droskobass, Jan 29, 2013.

1. droskobass

droskobass

Disclosures:
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    [​IMG]

Developed in Montreal, I got to skype the developer and had a video preview before NAMM. I was blown away.(he made me sign an NDA) so I can only post about it now.

This thing goes way beyond what we're used to in terms of flexibility and modular compatibility in a bass amp. It's a MOSFET 500 watter with a five slot "500 series" rack with a midi switcher that lets you select between presets combinations of the rack slots including the effects loop and the built in preamp. The brilliant part is that there are volume pads for each preset so you can really tailor the patch.

Basically you can now take full advantage of the 500 series modules (like the MOOG Ladder filter only available in 500 series) in your home studio, on stage or at sessions.

This thing turned heads at NAMM.
  2. droskobass

droskobass

Disclosures:
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    here's a description of the above pic from the manufacturer:

"In the pic above, we have the Quiver loaded with a Doc Derr from Empirical Labs, a VOG from Littlelabs, the Moog Ladder filter and an Elysia Xpressor filling the final 2 slots.

As shown, the input mute is active as are slots 2 and 4 (the Vog and Xpressor).

The rightmost square button (unlit) is the midi store button and pressing it followed by the receipt of a valid midi program change message will assign the current setting to that program number.

On the left side of the control panel, there are up/down buttons to adjust the trim for each programmed preset so that either the patches can be adjusted for equivalent volume or a patch can be set for a solo volume etc.

Each patch also has an effect loop on/off and serial parallel selection.

The bottom row has the input jack with active passive switch, input gain, limiter threshold, parallel effects loop balance and master volume.

Each slot has an optional pad (for cascading pre-amps) and slots 1 to 3 have the option of bypassing the onboard preamp when pre-amplifier modules are used in those slots."
  3. IPYF

IPYF

There are too many knobs. Please remove at least twelve....

Nah. But seriously, I'm sure it's great for the serious audiophile but I don't think I could even locate the master volume. I'd be too scared to fiddle with anything lest I accidentally activate the death ray on the integrated spy satellite.
  4. oerk

oerk

Way too complicated and expensive for me, but I'm sure there's a market for it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sorry IMHO for a working bassist this is way over-kill. The point of all the bells and whistles is what? Knobs and pretty lights though?
  7. steamthief

steamthief

It's way too big to ever gain any kind of traction here on talkbass.
  8. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Kind of interesting I guess. I can see this as some sort of fixed bass module in a recording studio.

Live... not so much. I've never really felt the need for non-bass oriented studio effects in a live rig.

Kind of a combination of overfeatured and underpowered versus many amps on the market IMO. Seems like most of the guys that go the studio preamp type stuff also want a 2000 watt power amp:p
  10. ejmy

ejmy

Today all the research is toward light weight and portability. This monster will appeal to kids that probably can't afford it. JMO
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

My response to such a product is "meh..."
  12. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    looks a little too "test equipment"-ey for me. and ya what they said, live nightmare with one little misstep.
  13. pgolliher

pgolliher

It looks like the cockpit of an airplane. I am way more into one good sound that is portable and gigable than a million different sounds in a rack, but to each their own.
  14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I had something very similar (although simpler & smaller) in the early planning stages. Oh well, looks awesome.
  15. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

Pilots have a joke about the cockpit appointments: Pull back on the stick, the plane goes up. Push down on the stick, the plane goes down. All those lights? Oh, those are just to impress the chicks :p
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

To say something positive, the 'quiver' name is clever... i.e., having a lot of 'arrows' in a 'quiver' I assume.

Impressive execution, but again, kind of a solution to a problem that doesn't seem to exist (i.e., how to get mutiple studio rack units to work together in large, moderately powered bass amp).

I assume they are posting up to get feedback prior to making a production decision, so I hope the designers don't take honest feedback the wrong way.

Most here try to be honest with feedback with small suppliers thinking about entering a market.
  17. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

I like the concept, but I agree, I bit overboard.
    I like the idea of using 500 series modules because of the flexibility - you don't like this compressor? fine, there are 300 others you can choose from.
    Personally, I would get a 500 series rack that holds two modules and a power amp.
  18. obimark

obimark

No, and then Hell no, I wish they would put out a new Ampeg V4BH, because it is perfect for what I want, like 4 knobs. Love my TC BG250 as well, not too many knobs on it.
  19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 It is your last point that is the big problem. I again feel that most who are into the studio level preamps, compressors, etc. for bass are also looking for PA type massive power amps (which at this point are cheap and lightweight) , and that solution, per your post, is already out there.
  20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I always thought a lunchbox-sized head, with a pair of 500-series slots and an 800w-ish class D power amp, would have been kind of cool.
  21. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

there are a few 2 and 3 module 19" rackmount 500 series chasses available. It is kind of a pricey solution - a few hundred for the rack, a few hundred (or more) for each module, and another few hundred for a power amp. yikes!:eek: