1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The bass I always wanted.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drews.anderson, Oct 20, 2012.

1. drews.anderson

drews.anderson

[​IMG]
    It was 4 A.M. when I opened my eyes and realized immediately that sleeping would take some time. It always takes some time when I wake up at 4 A.M., I knew it.
    The iPad seemed to be the answer, right within reach. I stretched my left arm and picked it up. Opened the cover. And eBay shone its light over the sheets. And there she was, on a tiny picture filled with orange splendor…
    But there's not how this story begins. It begins with Sting, maybe, then Ian Hill, then Mike Starr, Mike Inez and many others. The Spector bass haunted me for years.
    Only, I've never got one. I'm a scavenger. That's the word, as my friend Gollem put it. I've never bought a brand new bass. Ever. Always looking for the used ones, the rejected ones, the ones people were putting aside.
    I found many, put some aside myself. Never a Spector.
    Then, there was the 2012 Southern US RoadTrip. Long Planned. Exhaustively planned. And the day was coming.
    Some Spectors showed up on the forum, on eBay, none I could afford. Or none i would.
    The tiny picture filled with orange splendor contained a link, that took me to an ad that said clearly "YOU CAN AFFORD THIS ONE". Yes, I could. That much I could (would) pay. Only not. Shipping to Brazil and taxes would be insane. But how about the 2012 Southern US RoadTrip? Question to the Seller 'would you ship it to the hotel I'll be staying in?" Answer, by morning, "Yes". Some click later it was paid for. Done.
    One week later, in a hotel room in Sunrise FL, a huge Fender cardboard box was being torn apart. Old newspapers (that's what newspapers are good for on these internet times) and bubble wrap everywhere. And, finally, I had my hands on her. Much splendorous orange than in the pictures, Delano pick-ups (no EMGs, yeah!), and handmade by Warwick, in 1991. The Spector I always wanted is a Streamer Stage One.
    For the next 22 days she followed me 'round southern US, speaking to me through iRig and crappy earphones, and she sounded beautiful. Now she's home, and through the TC and Epis, I cant even begin to describe…
    Thanks, Mr.Bassie720
  2. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Great story, and gorgeous bass :bassist:
  3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

sounda like a GREAT search and buy mission!

congrats!

I saw Sting's at the Rock and roll Hall of fame this year...the last time I saw it was like 1982. it looked awesome then and now....
  4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Congratulations. Your bass looks great and well worth the hunt!
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Congrats! Great story.
  6. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Spector Strings
    You are very welcome brother! I am thrilled that it went to someone who will enjoy it and play it and rock it for many years. That bass has the magic :) I use only Spector basses now. Mostly because I prefer the company, the people that own and run it and the incredible way that they treat their artists. But as instruments, the older, thin necked, Warwicks have a playability and a naturally beautiful tone that can not be denied. I actually shave the necks on my Spectors to feel like the neck on that bass. I'm also happy that you are enjoying the Delano pickups. Fantastic pickups, very versatile.
  7. drews.anderson

drews.anderson

8. wilfred

wilfred

Love that color!
  9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

congrats, my friend...

you look happier than a body builder directing traffic!!!;)
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

congrats nice bass good story
  11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Very cool, congrats! It's always fun to hear about people getting their dream bass, but yours is a particularly great story.

As a Florida native, Sunrise holds a lot of musical significance for me--I saw a bunch of my first (and favorite) concerts at the old Sunrise Musical Theater in the late '70s and early '80s.:)