the bass you never play but you would never sell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Jun 24, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    This is a thread based on one I can't re-find w/a similar title. (tried entering it but I'm not going through 50 pages to find it)

Gushing apologies to the thread in question, but in general homage is the best form of respect... (or something of that nature)

... Anyway, I think this is a great question w/far reaching ramifications. I'm going out on a limb here to suspect it goes to the root of GAS. (the part of GAS we block-out off from our psyche) It the "Rosebud" link, the very first bass, or the bass that supported you over many years, or the bass that you absolutely regardless of style or fashion you KNEW was the instrument that allowed you to speak fully as a musician. It could be any bass, any brand, cheap or free or a story behind how it was afforded - this is a bass much larger and more important than it's physical worth - this is a 3-D (potentially but not lately) sonic symbol/landmark of your past.

"Sell my (fill in the blank) !!! You can't be serious!" :eyebrow:

discloser; I have a couple basses in this category... :smug:

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Seems silly to me. It's just gear.

The only basses I wouldn't sell are the vintage ones that are appreciating faster than I need money.

Anything else, make me an offer.

I don't play them, but I don't play 90% of my basses.

3. kreider204

kreider204

My circa 1970 Univox "Lucy" (basically a clone of the Ampeg with the clear "Lucite" body). It's pretty much just for display these days, since I play upright about 95% of the time, my Carvin fretless about 3%, and my Fender fretted about 2%. But I've had it for ages, played in a band with it when I was a young fella of which I have a lot of especially good memories (and the bandleader of which passed away very suddenly recently), and it's just plain pretty, so I keep it around for sentimental value.

EDIT: Added pix. From literally 20 years ago. Man, I miss my hair ...

Attached Files:

4. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

No pics, never happened!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jarrett

Jarrett

1993 Warwick Streamer Stage I that I bought new in 1993. 20 years old now, wow. I used it with my original hard rock band from 1993-1997 when we were at the height of our popularity. Lots of gigs, recordings, memories. It hangs on a wall in my back room now. Can't bring myself to sell it.

Here's a nice duck face still shot from a video of me playing it at gig in 93:
    [​IMG]

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

'76 Thunderbird, my first good bass, bought it new in '76. It was my main bass for twenty years. It is still in excellent condition, all original with bridge and pickup covers.

I have another one that is beat up, has had a neck repair, etc., that I use now when I want to play a Thunderbird, as well as a 2011 short scale Thunderbird, so this one stays at home. Too much nostalgia to sell, but I don't want to play it in dive bars anymore.

[​IMG]

This was it when it was new:

[​IMG]

Played that bass in a lot of bands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I rarely play my LX5 fretless, but I don't want to sell it because it's the best playing and sounding fretless I've ever played. Chuck from the Bass Emporium did the last setup before they shut down the storefront. Disclaimer: I doubt I've played more than 20-25 fretless basses in my life, and I've only owned a few.

[​IMG]

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

My Ric. It doesn't see much stage time anymore, but I still love it. It seems like everyone I've heard of that has sold their Ric regrets it.

I figure when I die my wife can finance my going away party with the proceeds she gets out of it.

10. BigOkie

BigOkie

I bought a 4001, new, in 1977 for $520 and later sold it (and my Earth 2x15 amp) for $500. I regret it every time I think about it.

I rarely play my MIM Jazz bass, but would never sell it because my wife bought it for me after many years of not playing because she knew it would make me happy to start playing again. She was right.

11. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

I have a Dean Q edge 6 wich my wife gave to me when we got married!!

[​IMG]

12. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Used to be my first bass a Washburn xb-900 then sometime in 2012 I instituted a 3 month rule. If I don't spend a decent amount of time playing any bass in my collection in a 3 month period it goes up for sale no exceptions.

Attached Files:

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
  14. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

My 1992 G&L Leo Fender signature L2000 Blueburst with a maple board. Bought it new.

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

My Gibson Zebrabird. I pretty much exclusively play Fender AVs, and even after 6 months with just the Jazz, I'm largely back home to the Precision. The Zebrabird just doesn't see a lot of play time unless I'm playing downtuned, in which case I far prefer it to the Fenders, but I just don't play in C# as often as I should. Given it's one of only 400 though, and how cool the wood is, I don't foresee it going anywhere soon.

[​IMG]

16. socialleper

socialleper

I still own my very first bass but haven't actually used it for anything for 20 years. It just sits in my closet. Its a red P bass that my Dad told me was a left over Kramer (he used to be a MI manufacture rep with crazy hook ups) but it doesn't have a name or serial on it. The neck isn't straight, the frets were dinged up before I got it and the adjustment screws for the saddles stick out in a way that will scratch your hand if you aren't careful.
    But it was my first bass. All I did for years was play that bass. Its worthless to anyone except me, and to me its priceless.

17. socialleper

socialleper

Both of those are total keepers!

18. slantedpanted

slantedpanted

This one - My first bass, a very good instrument. I guess its some kind of 70s partso mashup. Dont take it out much anymore - too much sentimental value.

Attached Files:

19. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Uuhh, isn't that a Streamer fretless?

20. kreider204

kreider204

Ha, funny you say that. Here's me at the age of 16 (26 years ago) with a Ric that I sold a few years later. It's the only bass I've gotten rid of that I have even the slightest pangs about.

Attached Files:

21. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    I have a Godin Acoustibass Fretless that I rarely play. Done in black lacquer with cream binding. Looks dressy like a grand piano. Strung with Thomastic flats, it sounds great. Get it out about once a month and play it with an eye to selling it. I recase it and it goes back into the cupboard. Just can't sell it.

Then there's the two string basses that rarely get touched. One belonged to a friend who passed away suddenly a year ago. No I can't sell it. Then there's the other cheap plywood standup that just sounds fabulous with the pickup I made for it. Big son-of-a-gun that plays like a dream and feels like home. Been offered way more than it's worth, but selling it would be like selling my right leg - it's just part of me. So it sits there and gets played about as often as the Godin.

The P-Bass gets used about once a year. I should sell it. It started life as a MIM P in a horrid green (sorry green bass lovers). But it's pimped out big time with a complete refinish, a custom wood pickguard with a matching veneer on the headstock, an irreplaceable Raven Labs onboard preamp, custom knobs, Hipshot tuners, Ashtray bridge cover and original '75 Fender pickups. Someone would have to offer me stupid money to pry this one loose. REALLY stupid money.