1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The bass you really want...until you play it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KablesP, Jan 24, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

how many of you have wanted a bass really bad based on reviews, vids, specs, etc. but hated it when you played it? Maybe not even hate, but it just wasn't what you thought?

What basses and why?

I really like the rick tone and the copy I have really sounds great but the sharp binding digs into my arm the way I play so I always get bruises on my forearm after shows. Les Pauls are like this but for some reason they don't dig in as bad when I play them.
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

My Rics binding isn't that bad and I've never even touched one before up until 2 weeks ago. Maybe the copy's binding is different from the real one?
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I have had many experiences with this one. Ric, Fender P's, Alembic's.. Played bunches of them. Please no hate from anyone who loves these basses. IMHO, I have never played one that I really just loved. All three of these basses are very specific to what they are and they are unmistakeable. For good reason too. Extremely popular and have millions of fans, I just am not one of them. Still so super fine looking Alembic's and Ric's out there and let's face it, the industry standard for bass = Fender P
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

for me my big disappointment was after a long long search for the right Gibson EB-2 from the 50s or 60s, I decided that it really wasnt the bass for me. Same thing with the Guild starfire. I couldn't get any definition at all out of them.
  5. Salamenster

Salamenster

I once played one of this vintage Höfner 500/1, thought like 'this thing is gonna sound and play great!'. It was so light and fragile I felt like holding a plastic toy bass and I couldn't get any good sound out of it at all. Really hated it, big dissapointment.
  6. Emibass

Emibass

Yamaha Nathan East signiture. Nathan is one of my biggest influence, and I always wanted to play his signature becuase it´s white (love white basses) with a ebony fb, elegant. But when I had the chance to take it for a spin I realized that it wasn´t for me. And beside that I couldn´t pass the string spacing and the poly on the neck.

Nathas is still on of my biggest influence, but now I learned the lesson that you have to seek for the instrument that delivers your "voice" and not other´s.
  7. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

Rics for me, always loved the look and tone but found them very uncomfortable to play.

Five string Stingrays and Bongos too, I felt that the G string was too close to the edge of the fretboard, other than that I really liked the Bongo I had.
  8. therhodeo

therhodeo

It was a Ric for me. When I started playing bass it was my dream bass. Then I played one. Never felt the need to revisit after that.
  9. KablesP

KablesP

I think it's just the way I play when I use a pick. It's pretty aggressive and I tend to move my arm up to my elbow as opposed to just moving my wrist.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

"The binding hurts my forearm!"

Bassists must be sissies........ :bag:

I have never heard any acoustic or jazzbox guitarist make that statement. ;) :D
  11. alembicbones

alembicbones

For me it's the Steinberger XL-2. The selling point was it was the most ergonomically designed bass ever. Funny thing, the ergonomics were the biggest thing that didn't work for me. Loved the tone and looks but it was never comfortable for me. I tried owning one twice and ended up selling both of them.

On the flip side, I just bought a NS Design Radius bass. This is probably Ned's best design ever. If you get a chance to try one, do so. They are cool basses.

Bones
  12. fabubass

fabubass

I feel the same about Ric basses, and guitars for that matter. I have been playing for 50 years and for such expensive instruments, I feel they are very uncomfortable to play
    I think they are so expensive because the Beatles played them Same goes for the Hofner.
  13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sadowsky, but it wasn't the bass per se'. I'll explain. When I was still fairly new (2 years) in my bass playing, I'd heard that they were the "holy grail". I finally got a chance to play one, and it dawned on me VERY quickly that I wasn't as good as I thought I was! :eek: I used to call them "rat basses", meaning that if your technique was not good, it would "rat you out"! LOL! That bass sent me to the woodshed! It was a while before I got truly comfortable playing one, because of that experience. That's one of the few basses that made me a better player, without me even playing it! I've owned 2 of them in the past, and plan on getting another in the future, but at that time, I wasn't ready.
  14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I had exactly the same problem. Only basses that actually HURT me to play.
  15. MrTaff

MrTaff

Dingwall Combustion 5, really wanted to like it but I just didn't feel comfortable with it.
  16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

I've owned 6 Rickenbackers... 4001' and 4003's... I keep "wanting" to like them, but they just don't work for me. I end up selling/trading them after a few months. I love the way they work for other people though.
  17. exidor

exidor

Yeah mine was Ritter I thought & hoped it would be the one but yuck! me no like it.t felt bloated and cumbersome I was really disappointed
    but that was just one model maybe others feel different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Epiphone Jack Casady. I love the look, but just felt unright to me when I tried it
  19. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Ric for me. There's no place for me to put my Thumb!

Most Gibson basses are disappointing because of Neck Dive/Bad Ballance.

Also Narrow Spaced Warwick 5's. A) I have Big Fat Fingers! (Hello Ladies!) and B) I like to Dig In with at least 3 at a time! (Ah, Ladies!!!)
  20. viper4000

viper4000

Jazz Bass :bag:

I want to love them, but it never feels right. I can't even put my finger on why, I just have a "meh" feeling when I play one. Then I hear someone else play one, and I try again.