The Bassist's Tool Box

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by DeOx, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DeOx

DeOx

Hey Ant,
    We met at one of your Bass Clinics in Mt. Laurel, NJ. I truly enjoy digesting your perspective and philosophies when it comes to life, music and bass. When you discuss or critique a bassist, you seem to rate them in terms of their tool box. You often say that Victor Wooten has the biggest tool box that you have ever heard or evaluated. I don't know if you have covered this, but can you list or provide guidance (or point me to the correct thread if discussed previously) as to what (skills, techniques, knowledge, .etc.) “Should” be in the tool box of a bassist if he or she wants to consider themselves to be an intermediate/proficient bassist. In trying to develop a practice plan and developmental roadmap, I believe that this information will help every bassist (musician) on his/her path in attempting to achieve some level of mastery of the electric bass (or their chosen instrument). One day, I may ask what “Should” be in the tool box of a master bassist such as yourself or Victor Wooten. But for right now, I have to crawl before I walk.

Btw, I’m looking forward to your video series and books (HINT). The knowledge and understanding that you provide to the community is Superb.

Thanks,
    Lennox

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey DeOx,

Honestly, my criteria is just for me. A lot of it is conventional stuff but a lot of it is non-conventional and non-tangible stuff.

You should compile your own list. Just think about some of the players who you think are outstanding and list what it is that you think that they do well.

By the way,...I agree with you,...I think that Victor is a master bassist. But I DO NOT put myself in that category. There are a lot of holes in playing. And I address them in practice every day. But I do feel that I'm a solid bass player. And I do believe that I get better every year. I love working on stuff that I suck at and I like challenging myself. But I'm also a very busy person(knock on bass!) and i don't get to practice as much as I'd like. But my practices are very 'honest'. I don't lie to myself about being good at stuff that I'm not good at.

Having said that, I can also say that I'm my favorite player. Not saying I'm the best,...I'm far from that. And I'm not working towards that goal. Just trying to be the 'best' that I can be.

And yes,....there will be instructional stuff and music from me,...at some point.

peace,
    anthony

3. DeOx

DeOx

Thanks Ant.

That is solid advice. I'm at an early stage in my musical/bassist journey and I'm basically trying to set milestones to measure my progress. Your Bass clinic opened my eyes as to how much I must learn and know. It is a very humbling experience to learn what it takes to become an accomplished musician from and accomplished musician. And, I think that it is an excellent ability to be brutally honest with yourself regarding your own growth.

I hope to see you at Chuck Levin's next month if Daddy duties don't prevail. My son is starting to act like he wants to play my bass. He was at the clinic in NJ with me in the back of the room on his computer. Your lecture may have seeped in.

Again, Thanks for your time.

Until next time, take care.

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

By the way, I'll be teaching once a month in the Philly area again starting next month, probably 11/10.

Actually it'll be on the NJ side close to Mt. Laurel in Maple Shade.

If you're interested text me.

peace,
    anthony

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeOx

DeOx

Actually, I live in Baltimore and I drove up to Mt. Laurel to attend the clinic. I'm familiar with the Mt. Laurel because I lived up that way for a few years. I remember you said that you were looking at doing something in Baltimore. Is that still in your plans?

7. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Yes, I have a place for lessons in Baltimore. But I haven't done any advertising for students. And I probably won't. I'd rather have word of mouth.

You should mention it to some bassist you know. If I get 8 students I'll do one Sunday a month.

peace,
    anthony

8. DeOx

DeOx

No problem, I'll start spreading the word.