The best analogue octave down pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Aug 5, 2013.

1. cnltb

cnltb

Which is, in your opinion, the best analogue octave down pedal in terms of racking and sound?
    And...are there any 1590A one out there?
    The mooer is the only one I have heard of and reviews vary.

Thanks! :)
  2. splattermaster

splattermaster

IMO EHX Octave Multiplexer, very nice tracking, nice and warm sound, and also cheap.
  3. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    Boss oc2 is my fave. Aguilar one is pretty great too.

J
  4. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll add the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe then, so all the usual suspects have been mentioned. :)
  7. DavC

DavC

tried several ..

mono/ analog ... i liked the Older Aguilar Octamizer ..!

to me , the older Ag i had tracked much better than a newer one a tried ...!?!? they say they do have some newer parts inside , but those parts are the same specs ..?!

but now have one that's poly ... for bass/guitar/synths ..

Boss OC3 ( tracks best in poly mode )

the analog is really the best for that fat tone ... if you only need 1 note at a time ...
  8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Boss OC-2 Octave
    Infanem Second Voice (dig the fuzzes out octave)
  9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Copilot FX Cubic -- best sounding, most versatile octaver I've played. Tracking is quirky or responsive depending on instrument and point of view, but generally pretty great.

Sorry, MXR-sized.

This review has too many words.
  10. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Iron ether subterranea. Had to get rid of mine but compared to my boss oc2, won hands down in terms of tracking and tone. Can cop the oc2s tone and you get synth voices to dial in. Tracking is instant and I got mine to go to an F on the E string every time. Also foxrox octron is my personal favorite! Plenty to choose from.
  11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

12. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Agreed with Yaks... Plenty to choose from, but it does kind of depends on what you're after.

I currently own an Aggie Octamizer (main board), MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (moving to second board?) and Ampeg Sub Blaster (second board). In the past, I've had an OC2, OC3, Octabass (Black Label, but not the updated true bypass version), Micro POG and POG2. I know the EHX's aren't really what you might be after... But they still do octave down. Unfortunately, none I've tried or know of in a 1590A besides the Mooer.

The EHX's tracked excellently, but that's really their only redeeming quality, IMO. They're digital (which you said you don't want) and noisy, as all of EHX pedals I've owned have been. I got rid of anything EHX long ago. Mainly included to warn you off, just in case. These are not the droids you're looking for.

The Octamizer (also the older one that DavC mentioned above) is more of a vintage warm/fat octaver, but still has good definition of sound. Good tracking and can get pretty freakin' huge beef. I normally don't need to go over 9:00-10:00 on the octave level knob. The controls are pretty interesting and the way Aguilar designed them allows for a great variety of octave flavors. More on the vintage side than the MXR, but with enough synth vibe to be convincing.

The MXR tracks the best of the bunch I've owned, consistently down to a low F# on the E string. Quite a bit of attitude and growl, particularly with the MID switch engaged. More on the rock side of the scale, but can still pull off some of the synthy-ness of the OC's.

Boss OC2/3... Good octavers, good tracking. Pretty synthy octave flavor which seems to be why people either like them or don't. They weren't quite the flavor I was looking for, a little TOO synthy. I didn't own them at the same time as the MXR and Octamizer, so I didn't get a chance to directly A/B compare.

I owned the Octabass for a long time and it's a great pedal. Again, somewhere in between the MXR and Aggie for a sound, leaning a little more towards the vintage warm side. Consistent sound and good tracking (but not great)... Think of it as the MXR's "well behaved older brother." They supposedly improved the tracking on the updated version.

If you really want vintage warm, track down a Sub Blaster if you can. It doesn't track nearly as good as the newer octavers (it has trouble on anything below an open A), but there's something about the sound that the new pedals just don't have. It's a hefty chunk of a pedal, doesn't sustain all that well and there's a smidge of artifacting, but that's all part of it's charm. Smoothest and warmest octaver I've played, and usually when I'm using an octave pedal, I'm playing up the neck anyway so tracking isn't too much of an issue.

Hope maybe some of my info helped at least a little! The Octamizer and MXR BOD are my favs, and are different enough to warrant keeping both. MXR for my urban gospel band, Aggie for my funk cover band. :bassist:

5sg.
    jibreel likes this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

thanks VERY MUCH for the info thus far!

In addition I am wondering; Do you know of any 1590A octaves that sound good and track well?

Also , I see the OC2 and OC mentioned in the same breath all the time but isn't only one of them analogue(oc2)?

I m not after 'vintage' as such, just after something that sounds good and tracks well. I like the analogue idea. :)
  14. cnltb

cnltb

Oh Yesss it has.
    Thank you very much indeed!

now, since I hear sooo much good stuff about the mxr I am wondering...might one be able to re box it into the smaller 1590A box? ( I know, I know...:) )
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I have the newer 3 mode Octabass, never felt any need to try another.
  16. Bigwan

Bigwan

Not a chance. Already pretty crammed in there. Surprised Mooer haven't done an analogue octaver already...
  17. cnltb

cnltb

But... are mooers any good?
    I mean proper "GOOD" ?
  18. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

All of the mooer pedals I've owned have been top notch. Granted they were all dirt or modulation or time based effects. I don't think mooer would release a dud and may be the reason they haven't done an octaver yet.
  19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ

Anybody tried the Markbass MB Octaver? If so, how fast is it and how is the tracking? I owned the EBS Octabass and comparison to that would be great, but any info is valuable.

cheers!
  20. cnltb

cnltb

I hope to be able to try the markbass one and a few others in the next week.
    I sincerely dislike markbass but if it's god it's good and I'll report that it is...if it is :).
  21. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

One possible reason for them not doing it is it's too hard. An analogue octave is not a simple circuit, by comparison to an analogue distortion.

Not saying it can't be done (I sincerely hope it can) but that might be a reason for it not happening yet.