The best bass chorus for fretless

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anton72, Feb 27, 2014.

1. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Guys, please advise bass chorus to enhance that fretless muah. I play Spector bass, active fretless. The only one I've tried before was EBS but did not like it.
    Thanks!
  2. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I use the MXR Bass Chorus deluxe, I really like it on my fretless basses, I like to have a "Sting-like Policey sound" sometimes, and it does the trick nicely. I have never used any other chorus on fretless before this one so I really have nothing to compare it to.
  3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I second the MXR...Also look into the Carl Martin... very pricey, but I've tried them and I really liked it
  4. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Are there any fretless players whose chorus sound you particularly like?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. anton72

Probably Mik Karn. Although I'm not sure which pedals are used more commonly with fretless. I'm looking for something let's say airy or atmospheric?
  7. sowilson

sowilson

Ensoniq DP4 utilizing two chorus's set slightly different from each other and then mixed (you end up using all 4 engines this way).

TC Electronics SCF Chorus Pedal
    TC Electronics Corona Chorus Pedal
  8. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Just asking, because I don't know, and not trying to be a smart-ass, but what would make a chorus pedal better for fretless vs. fretted? Like if a pedal was good with a fretted bass, wouldn't it be good for fretless as well and vise-versa?

Anyways, I also own a MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, that works great with both my fretted and fretless basses. I also like the some of the chorus on my B3, but the low-cut feature is something that really works for me, that I haven't been able to replicate (yet) with the B3.
  9. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Try a reverb as well, might be more of what you're looking for. I've gone back and forth between reverb and chorus on my fretless, can't decide which I like better.
  10. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

A T-Rex Twister II has served me well for a couple of years. It has useful controls that give a broad range of very useable sounds. It's also a great flanger. If I had to sum it up in a couple of words I'd say "warm and pleasant".
  11. anton72

You probably right. I should look at reverb as well...Speaking on diff between fretless and fretted - sure it is going to soung good with both, I just don't need one for use with fretted. I know that there should be some "must have" pedals for fretless to enhance its mwah that's why I mentioned fretless bass.
  12. Marial

13. anton72

14. Sauron_

Sauron_

15. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

TC Corona Chorus. Toneprints will let you do anything. I just happen to be selling one :)
  16. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

IMHO I would say the Analogman chorus with the deep mod is your best bet. Another one that's up there is the Homebrew Three Hound.
  17. Marial

I should add that I also have an Iron Ether Polytope, but I mainly use it for its out-there Resident's vocal style effects. It can get really, really, weird, which I enjoy. That said, using its more sane settings it really is a pretty effective chorus pedal.
  18. karla684

karla684

I own two TC Electronic TonePrint pedals, the Corona chorus and Hall of Fame reverb. Like them both, very competent and versatile pedals.
    Cannot say if you want chorus or reverb, but here is a reverb example of a TonePrint which made me think of Jaco Pastorius. I guess it's a bit wetter than what you're looking for, but that's easily fixed with the blend knob. What do you think about it? Is it in the right direction?

[EDIT] The example is played on a fretted bass, but you get the idea. [/EDIT]

Cheers,
    Kalle
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  19. anton72

I liked Hall of Fame more. Probably I need a reverb. Thanks for posting samples!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  20. anton72

I also heard good things about Analogman. Is that deep mod an optional smaller knob in the center? The regular version just have two knobs.
  21. Pastrami

Pastrami

Check out the Iron Ether Nimbus. Great reverb designed specifically for bass.